Can i Tweak this dish? Adding Honey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
I'm making a crunchy garlic chicken dish, , dipped in butter and milk, then dredged in crushed corn flakes. seasoned with garlic, paprika, salt, pepper and chives. I kind of want to eliminate the chives and add honey.I know i cant have them both because of clash

It is cooked at 425 for 20 minutes... it is made with chicken breast halves

My question is this: In the dipping bowl i use first, milk and butter, can i put honey in there too? Or would honey clash with this recipe or oven temperature or breading or whatever. Just curious if this will work

Chives and honey are ok together. I make a great chicken dish with honey, soy sauce and scallions. But you can leave them out.

First thing, it's usually a good idea to "double dip" chicken. That means flour dip first, egg wash next (the flour helps the egg stick) and crumb dip last.

I think you should experiment with some honey in the egg wash. It's a great way to add a layer of flavor. I usually add soy sauce (a pro kitchen trick), dijon mustard, hot sauce or whatever I feel like in the egg.

Season the crumbs with whatever suits you. IMO you can never go wrong with garlic!:)

EXPERIMENT!! You'll get more and more confident about cooking the more you do it. You'll get a better handle on what ingredients, tastes, textures, etc. work for youand your family.

A Question, though ... why the butter?

jennyema said:
Chives and honey are ok together. I make a great chicken dish with honey, soy sauce and scallions. But you can leave them out.

First thing, it's usually a good idea to "double dip" chicken. That means flour dip first, egg wash next (the flour helps the egg stick) and crumb dip last.

I think you should experiment with some honey in the egg wash. It's a great way to add a layer of flavor. I usually add soy sauce (a pro kitchen trick), dijon mustard, hot sauce or whatever I feel like in the egg.

Season the crumbs with whatever suits you. IMO you can never go wrong with garlic!:)

EXPERIMENT!! You'll get more and more confident about cooking the more you do it. You'll get a better handle on what ingredients, tastes, textures, etc. work for youand your family.

A Question, though ... why the butter?

Was following recipe i have written down, the wash is butter and milk rather than egg..... I'll change the wash like you said.. first i'll flour it, then i will egg & honey wash it, then i'll toss it in the crushed cornflakes.. i'll put paprika with the flakes

jennyema is right - don't be afraid to EXPERIMENT!Although I personally tend to think of honey as something to use as either a glaze, or to aid in browning a roasted chicken, I have seen a couple of recipes that called for tossing the chicken into a bag overnight in a yogurt and honey marinade.

This is giving me ideas about something new to try ....

Who told you you cannot put honey and chives together? I'd put honey in the milk. Honey and pinch of mustard powder. I use a lot of chives and don't think they're strong enough to clash with much of anything.

Oh, Michael FtW: Be careful of recipes that call for overnight marinading in buttermilk, yogurt or even sugar. Believe it or not, I've actually had each of these actually "eat up" the meat (that's a scientific term, folks) when I've marinaded them too long!! Over-tenderize the meat into mush! Anyone else ever have this happen? I now only use these types of marinades for a day -- as in start the marinade when I wake up if I want it for dinner that night, at the longest. There's a difference between tender and mushy, and I crossed it a few times with 24-hour marinades!!!

Back
Top Bottom