Can I use non-dairy powder creamer as milk substitute in a recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
Knorr instant side dish calls for 1.5 cups water and .5 cup of milk. Can I use non-dairy powder creamer instead of milk?
This is for backpack camping and I do not want to carry liquid milk.

I know....I should just experiment, but I thought I'd ask here first....

Doesn't creamer usually have sugar in it? Powdered milk might work better.

On my last trip I used water only, and although the pasta side dish came out ok it was lacking that creamy texture.

Do they make lactose free powdered milk? I mentioned non-diary creamer because they come in tiny packets and are convenient to carry.

On my last trip I used water only, and although the pasta side dish came out ok it was lacking that creamy texture.

Do they make lactose free powdered milk? I mentioned non-diary creamer because they come in tiny packets and are convenient to carry.

They probably do make lactose-free. I've never looked. Any creamer I've ever tried had sweetener, maybe there are some that are unsweetened.

For something non-dairy to make food creamy, how about creamed coconut? It's not sweetened.

photo-1-5-1024x798.jpg

They do make powdered milk with cream. They also make powdered dairy cream. Not coffee creamers, but dairy cream. Like you would put in your coffee. You can get the powered milk and dairy cream, mix them up and then mix them together. :angel:

Thanks!

I picked up a small can of Nido (made by Nestles) whole millk powder at Wally World yesterday. I'll experiment with a little of that and see if it'll affect my system.

Meanwhile I'd like to see if I can make beef stroganoff using mostly dry ingredients. One popular brand, Mountain House, makes freeze dried entres including beef stroganoff but they are pricey.
Some people dehydrate their own food but I'm not willing to go that route.

Roadfix, just a thought. If the milk powder doesn't work, would buttermilk powder have less lactose?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom