"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Can Recipes be Bookmarked?

I'm fairly new to this board, and I've already learned so much and have gotten some really great recipes that I've made or want to try soon.

So, how do you "bookmark" certain recipes or threads that you want. Do I just have to "cut & paste" ... any suggestions?

Thank you for any advise.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Everymom

I would "subscribe" to the threads with no notification. Then when you are looking for something specific all you need to do is go to your User CP and look through the subscribed threads. Hope that helps. If you need any instruction let me know and I can walk you through it.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Do you mean to add the recipe to your favorites? If so, then yes. Just bring up the thread that contains the recipe and do Ctrl-D and the add favorites dialog will pop up.
I created a To Try folder in my favorites where I tend to put things like that as they are generally new, to me, recipes that I want to try.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

If I see a recipe anywhere online, I copy and paste it to a word processing document and save it on my computer. You have no control over how long a recipe (or anything else) is kept available before it's removed/deleted. At that point your favorite or bookmark becomes useless.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If I see a recipe anywhere online, I copy and paste it to a word processing document and save it on my computer. You have no control over how long a recipe (or anything else) is kept available before it's removed/deleted. At that point your favorite or bookmark becomes useless.

That's true. You wouldn't want to wait a long time before trying the recipe. Once I try it, if I like it, I'll print it or put it into a document.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammster View Post
That's true. You wouldn't want to wait a long time before trying the recipe. Once I try it, if I like it, I'll print it or put it into a document.
I have ten times as many untried recipes as tried and true recipes on my computer.

Some day...
Old 10-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Littlechef, if you have the Firefox browser, it's possible not only to bookmark recipes and websites but also, Firefox allows you to make folders. This is very useful, especially for more than one genre. I'm using Firefox/Mozilla 5. It's great.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Most modern browsers allow one to make folders for bookmarks.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Thank you all for such great suggestions ... but Andy's suggestion of importing into a microsoft document is the way to go long-term.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechef View Post
Thank you all for such great suggestions ... but Andy's suggestion of importing into a microsoft document is the way to go long-term.
I had been doing it this way for a while and found I wasn't taking the time and reviewing them for possible use, so I finally decided that if a recipe sounded good enough to copy, I'd take it one step further.

When I copy a recipe into a word document, I change the font and the font size to one that it way easier to read and PRINT a copy for my notebook.

I don't save the recipe on the computer any more, as I not only have a copy to remind me (I do review the notebook), but I also have a full size piece of paper where I can make notes about any changes and notes.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote