Can someone help me obtain this jerk seasoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allioop108

Assistant Cook
A few years ago I went to old mystic village in connecticut and in one of the stores bought a container of jerk seasoning that had the label aunt maes jerk seasoning. I do believe its made for that specific store as I looked online and couldnt find it. I also don't remember the name of the store. i bought it to test out and loved it. Now I only have enough for one last meal and would like to get more. Are there any forum members near old mystic village who could search for this product for me and possible send me some containers, Of course I will send you the money first. I dont when is the next time I'll be up that way.

Allen
allioop108@aol.com

Allen - I live just a couple miles away from Old Mistick Village. Do you remember the name of the store or anything about it? Was it the Gray Goose Cookery? I'd be happy to pick some up & send it to you if we can figure out where you got it. Hopefully they will still carry it!

Corinne said:
Allen - I live just a couple miles away from Old Mistick Village. Do you remember the name of the store or anything about it? Was it the Gray Goose Cookery? I'd be happy to pick some up & send it to you if we can figure out where you got it. Hopefully they will still carry it!

Sorry I don't remember the store name as I was in and out of many different stores. One correction (I'm home and not at work now), its called Annie Mae's caribbean jerk seasoning. Its in a 10.5 oz clear plastic container with a yellow label with red border and black letters except for annie mae which is in red. Cost at the time was $3.75. I'm looking to get a couple of containers if possible and will pay price for them, shipping and a few bucks for gas and troubles. The store was in a cluster of stores and gift shops (they look like old shacks or something) right in the middle of the village, there was a restuarant in the vicinity I believe, cant remember much else as its been like 3 years

Allen
allioop108@aol.com

Last edited:
I've not heard of Annie Mae's, but we got some Walker's Wood Jerk Seasoning in Jamaica years ago, and it's not like being there, but it's good and it's available at many stores. Even my friend from Kingston uses it.

BC

BlueCat said:
I've not heard of Annie Mae's, but we got some Walker's Wood Jerk Seasoning in Jamaica years ago, and it's not like being there, but it's good and it's available at many stores. Even my friend from Kingston uses it.

BC

That's what I use, too. It comes in different forms. The paste is very concentrated & needs to be used sparingly - I found that out the hard way! :ermm:

What I like about this jerk seasoning, Annie Mae's, is that its not spicey like the typical jerk seasoning. I especially like it with ribs, chop up the ribs add pineapples and pineapple juice and sprinkle seasoning over everything and bake. Gives this awesome taste to the ribs. I have a nice selection of jerk seasoning (all are spicey) in the local grocery stores but none with the taste of annie maes so now you know why I'm looking for that brand.

Allen

I've never had the brand you've mentioned, but here's a recipe I used to make for a tasty, but mild, Jerk Seasoning. However, the Minor's Herb de Provence is a commercial product. You should be able to duplicate it by mixing some Herb de Provence mix with some olive oil. You'll have to play with it to figure out how much to make almost a cup of the stuff. I would warm the oil slightly (but not hot enough actually cook), to infuse the oil with the flavors of the herbs.

Jerk Marinade
Yields: ~1 c

2 t Fresh Thyme
1 t Kosher Salt
2 t sugar
1 t Ground Allspice
1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
1 t Cayenne
1 t Ground Black Pepper
3 T soy sauce
1 T salad oil
1 T Cider Vinegar
7 oz Minor’s Herbs de Provence base

Mix all ingredients but the last. Microwave the Herbs de Provence base to soften it. Combine with the seasonings. Submerge the chicken in this mixture overnight.

Allen,

Minor's Herb de Provence Flavor Concentrate claims to be "a vegetarian, versatile European herbal blend of Marjoram, Thyme, Basil and Rosemary for that Mediterranean flavor." I didn't read the ingredients, but Herbs de Provence usually also includes lavendar and tarragon.

Except for the thyme, I jerk seasoning generally has none of those herbs in it.

:unsure: IMO that would make for a mixture that may not taste like any jerk seasoning available commercially.

P.S. Chalk me up as a Walkerswood fan when I don't make my own. Only problem is it's too salty. Have tried Penzey's and it's just not as good. :ohmy:

Allen - does the container you have list the ingredients? If so, it might help you find a suitable substitute from another supplier.

:-(

Allen, I'm sorry to have to give you this news. I called the Gray Goose many times yesterday & never got an answer. I started calling again this morning & finally got someone to answer the phone. They don't have Annie Mae's Jerk Seasoning. What they have now is something made by Spice Hunter.

I Googled Annie Mae's - it looks like it comes from Nova Scotia. Is that right?

I'm so sorry.

Corinne

Corinne said:
That's what I use, too. It comes in different forms. The paste is very concentrated & needs to be used sparingly - I found that out the hard way! :ermm:

LOL! I use the paste as well. It can be fiery!

BC

I've only had two different types of Jerk seasoning in my short time on this planet. The recipe I posted, and a store-bought version I tried once. The store-bought one was good and hot, which I felt overpowered the other flavors.

The addition of Herbs de Provence is not what I would consider to be traditional, while the other flavors (except the soy) would be. I posted it, because I felt that this might be a good stand-in recipe for the mix the original poster was looking for.

At this time, I don't have access to any of the Minor's product, as we don't use it at the place I'm currently working at. However, you can easily make your own by adding some Herbs de Provence mix to some olive oil, and warming it a bit to infuse the flavors.

I've made my own jerk rub now for years. Jerk is one of my favorite foods... I love jerk chicken wings and pork tenderloins. There are recipes for numerous blends available online. Just Google for "jerk seasoning". That way you can control the amount of heat you put in.... I like it with the traditional scotch bonnet or habeñero peppers, but most recipes just call for cayenne pepper, and you can half the amount to tone it down some.

Back
Top Bottom