"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to allioop108
Can someone help me obtain this jerk seasoning

A few years ago I went to old mystic village in connecticut and in one of the stores bought a container of jerk seasoning that had the label aunt maes jerk seasoning. I do believe its made for that specific store as I looked online and couldnt find it. I also don't remember the name of the store. i bought it to test out and loved it. Now I only have enough for one last meal and would like to get more. Are there any forum members near old mystic village who could search for this product for me and possible send me some containers, Of course I will send you the money first. I dont when is the next time I'll be up that way.

Allen
allioop108@aol.com

Old 07-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Allen - I live just a couple miles away from Old Mistick Village. Do you remember the name of the store or anything about it? Was it the Gray Goose Cookery? I'd be happy to pick some up & send it to you if we can figure out where you got it. Hopefully they will still carry it!

Old 07-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
Allen - I live just a couple miles away from Old Mistick Village. Do you remember the name of the store or anything about it? Was it the Gray Goose Cookery? I'd be happy to pick some up & send it to you if we can figure out where you got it. Hopefully they will still carry it!
Sorry I don't remember the store name as I was in and out of many different stores. One correction (I'm home and not at work now), its called Annie Mae's caribbean jerk seasoning. Its in a 10.5 oz clear plastic container with a yellow label with red border and black letters except for annie mae which is in red. Cost at the time was $3.75. I'm looking to get a couple of containers if possible and will pay price for them, shipping and a few bucks for gas and troubles. The store was in a cluster of stores and gift shops (they look like old shacks or something) right in the middle of the village, there was a restuarant in the vicinity I believe, cant remember much else as its been like 3 years

Allen
allioop108@aol.com
Old 07-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I've not heard of Annie Mae's, but we got some Walker's Wood Jerk Seasoning in Jamaica years ago, and it's not like being there, but it's good and it's available at many stores. Even my friend from Kingston uses it.

BC
Old 07-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by allioop108
Sorry I don't remember the store name as I was in and out of many different stores. Allen
allioop108@aol.com
OK - I'm gonna guess that it was Gray Goose. I will do my best to remember to call them tomorrow & see what they can tell me. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat
I've not heard of Annie Mae's, but we got some Walker's Wood Jerk Seasoning in Jamaica years ago, and it's not like being there, but it's good and it's available at many stores. Even my friend from Kingston uses it.

BC
That's what I use, too. It comes in different forms. The paste is very concentrated & needs to be used sparingly - I found that out the hard way!
Old 07-10-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

What I like about this jerk seasoning, Annie Mae's, is that its not spicey like the typical jerk seasoning. I especially like it with ribs, chop up the ribs add pineapples and pineapple juice and sprinkle seasoning over everything and bake. Gives this awesome taste to the ribs. I have a nice selection of jerk seasoning (all are spicey) in the local grocery stores but none with the taste of annie maes so now you know why I'm looking for that brand.

Allen
Old 07-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I've never had the brand you've mentioned, but here's a recipe I used to make for a tasty, but mild, Jerk Seasoning. However, the Minor's Herb de Provence is a commercial product. You should be able to duplicate it by mixing some Herb de Provence mix with some olive oil. You'll have to play with it to figure out how much to make almost a cup of the stuff. I would warm the oil slightly (but not hot enough actually cook), to infuse the oil with the flavors of the herbs.

Jerk Marinade
Yields: ~1 c

2 t Fresh Thyme
1 t Kosher Salt
2 t sugar
1 t Ground Allspice
1/2 t Ground Cinnamon
1 t Cayenne
1 t Ground Black Pepper
3 T soy sauce
1 T salad oil
1 T Cider Vinegar
7 oz Minor’s Herbs de Provence base

Mix all ingredients but the last. Microwave the Herbs de Provence base to soften it. Combine with the seasonings. Submerge the chicken in this mixture overnight.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
Master Chef

Allen,

Minor's Herb de Provence Flavor Concentrate claims to be "a vegetarian, versatile European herbal blend of Marjoram, Thyme, Basil and Rosemary for that Mediterranean flavor." I didn't read the ingredients, but Herbs de Provence usually also includes lavendar and tarragon.

Except for the thyme, I jerk seasoning generally has none of those herbs in it.

IMO that would make for a mixture that may not taste like any jerk seasoning available commercially.

P.S. Chalk me up as a Walkerswood fan when I don't make my own. Only problem is it's too salty. Have tried Penzey's and it's just not as good.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #10
Master Chef

Allen - does the container you have list the ingredients? If so, it might help you find a suitable substitute from another supplier.