"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 09-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Can you freeze lunch meat?

Sometimes my grocery store has buy a pound of ham or turkey, get a pound free. If I were to freeze one of those pounds for a week or two, would it be good and edible when it thawed?

lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
we often buy a large chunk of ham or roasted turkey breast, slice them up and divide them into portion sizes, wrap them as tightly as possible and put it in a freezer. They are fine when they are defrosted. The texture of some items suffer a little change, but at the worst you can use them for cooking. Also once defrosted, they should be used up asap (thus wrapping into portions).

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
I would imagine it would depend on how much water was in the meat. Chicken and beef should be ok (maybe) but I bet balogna and ham would get funky.

I froze venison sausage (salami) it was okay, but not as good as fresh. I think freezing put the keibash to the spices. Texture was quite right either.
silvercliff_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
Executive Chef
I buy fresh deli sliced roast beef, turkey breast, chicken breast etc., and have pressed all the air out and frozen in a zip lock, then let it defrost in the fridge and pat it down with paper towels to absorb any moisture. It's not as great as eating it fresh from the deli, but it still tastes good, imo. You could always, freeze, defrost and use it in stews, pasta dishes, etc.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
Senior Cook
you can, but the texture does change somewhat... slices will be more likely to tear when pulling them apart.... you will see a large amount of water when thawed out, these were the ice crystals that formed when the freezing process took place and have now melted... taste will still be good
Seven S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
Master Chef
I almost always have balogna in the freezer for a delicious sandwich spread I make with it. It tastes just fine, except I think it gets a little "slick". Ham gets some ice crystals in it from the water added, but it works fine for cooking or sandwich spread. I've never tried to freeze the deli turkey, because I'm not fond of it, but I'd imagine it would have water crystals, the way the ham does.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
Executive Chef
When I thaw packaged ham, once I take the packaging off, I wrap it in a paper towel before I put it in a ziplock, to absorb the juices which I think extends the life of the thawed meat.

Everytime I take out some slices, I wrap it in a new paper towel.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
Assistant Cook
One idea. When they have a buy 1#/get one free--first make SURE that you have to get the other pound. One of our supermarkets just marks the meat at half price even if you get only one package. COOL!!
The other idea for either ham or turkey--get one pound sliced and the other in a chunk. Make "chicken" or ham salad by chopping the other chunk. Or even turkey tetrazini or other cooked dish. Ham and mac and cheese for ham chunks.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.

I aways take advantage of buy 1 get one free, bologna, hot dogs, bacon, and sausage. I can't tell any differance when unthawed, I like having backups.
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
Head Chef
I buy the healthy choice turkey or roast chicken (comes in a green pack) and freeze it regularly. I just let it thaw and then use it on sandwiches for my kids. The texture is fine and you would never know it was frozen. My kids have yet to get sick from it and I have been doing this for over a year.

Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote