"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Siegal, your original post actually raises two issues.

First, the general issue of refreezing previously frozen foods. Assuming proper defrosting (which means in the fridge), what you have with refreezing is more a loss of quality problem than a food safety one. Usually has to do with cell structure and ice crystals and such. If you use that product as an ingredient for a cooked dish, however, then you are, in effect, freezing it for the first time. There should be neither a quality loss nor a food safety issue.

When it comes to liquids things are slightly different. If you were to properly defrost some stock, then immediately refreeze it, there would be no loss of quality, because there is no cellular structure to be damaged.

The issue with stocks, however, is that unfrozen they lose quality very quickly, and, even under refrigeration bacterial growth can cause problems. Rule of thumb is three days in the fridge, maximum. After that you should either dispose of it, or reheat it to the simmer point, let it cook at least ten minutes, then refreeze.

To avoid the problem, I freeze my stocks in amounts ranging from one cup to one gallon. Then I try and defrost only the amount I'll be needing. F'rinstance, I might just defrost one cup for a sauce, but go for a gallon if I'll be making soup.

Naturally, it doesn't always work out that way. But I try to never have more on hand than I'll use in the next few days.

One other thing about stocks, that many people ignore. They should be cooled as quickly as possible. Otherwise they'll spend far too much time in the danger zone (40-140F). To avoid that, put the stock pot in a tub of ice, and stir it more or less constantly until it's cool enough to put in the fridge.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I just threw it into the pot frozen. I am not trying to refreeze the plain stock just the soup I made from it (that has been boiling for hours)

Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Head Chef

My method of dealing with this problem is to make large quantities of stock, reduce the result to what will fit into two or three cupcake trays, then freeze and store in a baggie. I can then use any quantity I desire without refreezing or tossing.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
I just threw it into the pot frozen. I am not trying to refreeze the plain stock just the soup I made from it (that has been boiling for hours)
Thanks for the clarification. Your soup will be fine with freezing.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It's the toxins released while the thawing is happening that will make you sick. I don't know how the OP thawed her stock, I'm covering the bases as I see they should be covered.
Some toxins arent killed by boiling
Old 02-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Some toxins arent killed by boiling
That's why I said don't refreeze the stock...