Canadian Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attie

Sous Chef
We import a lot of the above and I must say that it's nice pork. Down at the local supermarket yesterday I bought a "fresh" leg at AU $3.99kg, this converts to CA $3.85kg or $1.75lb. Considering the freight, the handling fees and the markups there's not much left for the grower it would seem. So, I'm guessing it carries a Canadian Government subsidy, true??

Gosh, you can send me some, me paying the freight and it'd still be cheaper than the price here. But I always catagorized it more like a boneless type of ham. No? You talk of a shoulder. What is this?
I can't see the canadian producers making anything.

Gosh, you can send me some, me paying the freight and it'd still be cheaper than the price here. But I always catagorized it more like a boneless type of ham. No? You talk of a shoulder. What is this?
I can't see the canadian producers making anything.

It's not Ham quicksilver but fresh pork for roasting, this was leg pork with the bone in. We do also have the shoulder part which we also roast which can run out on special for AU $3.99kg as well, ham is not big on our menu. Fresh pork and bacon are now the cheapest of the meats for us thanks to the Canadians.

I think there was a marketing issue with pork here recently, and without getting into too many details it meant that a lot of people stopped buying pork for no good reason. That meant selling it abroad, and fast. So that meant cheap.
As for me, I love pork, and I took full advantage of the price drop whenever I could (and can...just did a pulled pork meal on the weekend). But I don't know how long the reduced prices will last.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom