"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Canadian Thanksgiving ingredients

What would have been the things eaten at the first Canadian Thanksgiving? Since the climate is different and it was at a different time of year from the first US Thanksgiving I would think there'd be different things to eat. wiki says Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to Martin Frobisher in 1578 when they landed on Baffin Island, so maybe we should eat narwhals & walrusses!

Old 10-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Everymom

Its a harvest festival. Just eat whatever you harvested!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Yeah I know it's a harvest festival, but there are different foods grown in different places. If seal fins don't sound good, Samuel de Champlain used to have Thanksgiving festivals in New France (the part which became Nova Scotia), where the climate, time of year (& First-Nations cuisine) would have likely been different than it would have been in Massachussets. In Canada (according to wiki again) we only started to eat the usual turkey (etc) when the Loyalists moved north after the American Revolution, bringing the American Thanksgiving cuisine with them. I read that they grew lots of grains but I have a feeling that lobster & other seafood might also be more traditional Canadian (pre-American-revolution) Thanksgiving foods.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Everymom

You might be better to look at the traditional harvest festival meals they ate in Britain as that is likely more the model for our meal at the time.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

In Manitoba, I'm guessing wild rice would have been on the table. High-bush cranberries and maybe a compote of wild grapes.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
You might be better to look at the traditional harvest festival meals they ate in Britain as that is likely more the model for our meal at the time.
because... champlain was british?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by baking fool View Post
because... champlain was british?
*sigh*

No. I meant that the harvest festivals our modern thanksgiving is modelled after resemble the BRITISH traditions. I clearly have misunderstood your question. Sorry. Yes, we should eat narwhal and walrus and perhaps a pate of lemming to go with.

Baffin Island food...now that's a challenge.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
*sigh*

No. I meant that the harvest festivals our modern thanksgiving is modelled after resemble the BRITISH traditions. I clearly have misunderstood your question. Sorry. Yes, we should eat narwhal and walrus and perhaps a pate of lemming to go with.

Baffin Island food...now that's a challenge.

I don't know about making a lemming mad...:
Search Results lemming video - Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats - I Can Has Cheezburger?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I ain't pateing me no lemmings. Uh uh.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I ain't pateing me no lemmings. Uh uh.

Lemming Meringue Pie