Canned Cornbeef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tori

Assistant Cook
When I was growing up my mother used canned (Libby's or Hormel) cornbeef to make a one pan dish. As I remember it was fantastic.

I know it has diced potatoes, but I can't remember but I don't think it had cabbage. I know it ended up with very little broth. That is about all I remember.

I was just wondering if anyone had some good recipies for this type of dish.

Thank you.

we used canned corned beef to make our own hash, and also a "sloppy joe" of sorts with tomato sauce onion green pepper etc.

Sounds like straight up Corned Beef Hash. Diced potatoes, diced onions and the corned beef. I par-boil the potatoes, saute the onions in oil and butter mix, add in the potato and corned beef. Allow to cook on one side till crispy, turn and crisp the other. Your Mom may not have crisped it, but served it warmed through.

my mom makes a norwegian / north sea dish with canned corned beef called lab scaus (sp?).

it has onions and potatoes in it like hash, but it also pickles and mustard, and you serve it for breakfast along with a fried egg and smoked fish.

i'll see if i can find a recipe later, or you can google it.

The canned corned beef was a staple growing up. We used it for hash and for a sandwich filling made with chopped sweet pickles and mayo. Today for me it is just plain nasty!

yep, just cooked until ir's easily shreddable, then canned..

are you saying my mom's food sucks??? :glare:

My Dad loved Libby's Corned Beef Hash in the can and I hated the stuff. Naturally, I never bought it for my family....it even looks bad! My kids came home from spending the night with their grandparents and said they didn't want to go over there anymore. When I asked them why, they said Grandpa had tried to feed them dog food. :ROFLMAO:

Yep, it looks exactly like canned dog food.

my mom makes a norwegian / north sea dish with canned corned beef called lab scaus (sp?).

it has onions and potatoes in it like hash, but it also pickles and mustard, and you serve it for breakfast along with a fried egg and smoked fish.

i'll see if i can find a recipe later, or you can google it.
OMG--my granny made that! I loved it. She also took canned potatoes topped with processed cheese...I loved those too!

I would rather have Mary Kitchen's Roast Beef canned hash. My first husband learned to like canned corn beef from the Yankee soldiers during WWII when he was a youngster in London. He thought it was a luxury item. He came from Cockermouth in the Lakes District, but they moved to London for his fathers war work. Had they stayed up north, he never would have had canned corned beef. They returned after the war. Their house had been used to house Yankee servicemen. The Americans left a whole 'larder' of food behind for them. The country was still on rations. He used to tell me stories all the time of living through the war. :)

yep, just cooked until ir's easily shreddable, then canned..

are you saying my mom's food sucks??? :glare:

spam, a pork staple during wwII, was shunned like leprosy in the 1950s and 60s. i believe canned corned beef will enjoy a resurgence of popularity as has happened with spam in recent times. in the meanwhile, i will continue to champion them both....:)

spam, a pork staple during wwII, was shunned like leprosy in the 1950s and 60s. i believe canned corned beef will enjoy a resurgence of popularity as has happened with spam in recent times. in the meanwhile, i will continue to champion them both....:)

Spam is almost considered the official state dish of Hawaii. It has never gone out of popularity. Since they came out with the lite version, I find it almost tolerable. :chef:

I love breakfast for supper!!! Why waste all that good food on someone who isn't awake to enjoy it?

Yeah, I have to admit, I love the stuff too!

To make a simple homemade version, I just dice up deli ham real fine and buy frozen homefries (small dice). Throw all that in a skillet with alittle butter and seasoings to taste (garlic powder, salt and pepper). Sauté that until cooked through. I like mine on the crispy side.

I also make this with leftovers from St. Patty's day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom