Canned hominy--- uses for: other than pozole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahhh...but there is purple kale...I plant both--purple and green kale. And I'm loving the purple asparagus--it is so much easier to see against the grass...Most purple veggies turn green when cooked (at least the ones I plant do--purple beans, purple broccoli, purple asparagus, purple okra), but are more nutritious than plain green ones.

I love hominy! Though I always purchase fresh nixtamal when I can.

Mote Pillo (hominy with eggs) is a weekend favorite around here.

No idea where this one came from, but it's high on the request list when we BBQ:

Hominy Casserole

8 slices thick bacon
1 large onion, finely diced
4 14.5-ounce cans white hominy, drained
2 4-ounce cans diced green chilies (Hatch chilies are splendid)
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 seeded, finely diced fresh jalapeno (optional, for heat)
Extra cheddar, bacon, and chilies for sprinkling

Fry the bacon until almost crisp; remove from skillet and drain all but a couple of tablespoons bacon grease. Crumble the bacon and set aside.

Add onion to skillet and cook for a couple of minutes. Pour in hominy and stir for a couple of minute until warm. Add cheese, chilies, jalapenos (if using), and bacon and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.

Pour mixture into a large baking pan and sprinkle with a little more cheese, bacon, and green chilies, if desired.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until hot and heated through.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ahhhh, but those things are the right color. I'll get my antioxidants from spinach and kale, never the evil brussel sprouts.
I think I'm going to set up a support group for the poor brussels sprout - "Are you small, round and green? Do bigger vegetables kick sand in your face? Do humans turn their backs when they see you? Join the Sprout Action Society (AKA the SAS)."

I love them. Eat them regularly in winter and Christmas dinner wouldn't be the same without them. (I don't touch the ones imported from the southern hemisphere in summer they're tasteless) Read the BS section in Jane Grigson's veg book and try some of the recipes. I promise you you'll be converted. The secret is not to boil them to mush.

Up with brussels sprouts - down with kale!
:):):)

I think I'm going to set up a support group for the poor brussels sprout - "Are you small, round and green? Do bigger vegetables kick sand in your face? Do humans turn their backs when they see you? Join the Sprout Action Society (AKA the SAS)."

I love them. Eat them regularly in winter and Christmas dinner wouldn't be the same without them. (I don't touch the ones imported from the southern hemisphere in summer they're tasteless) Read the BS section in Jane Grigson's veg book and try some of the recipes. I promise you you'll be converted. The secret is not to boil them to mush.

Up with brussels sprouts - down with kale!
:):):)

Can I be a member of the SAS? :yum: It's always strange to see people who love cabbage or kale turn their noses up at Brussels sprouts. Reminds me of a friend who would NOT eat liverwurst but liked Braunschweiger. ;)

Can I be a member of the SAS? :yum: It's always strange to see people who love cabbage or kale turn their noses up at Brussels sprouts. Reminds me of a friend who would NOT eat liverwurst but liked Braunschweiger. ;)

no no no....BS's taste nothing like kale or cabbage. If bacon can't save those little devils nothing can!

no no no....BS's taste nothing like kale or cabbage. If bacon can't save those little devils nothing can!

+1. Well put, Kayelle. They have their own evil flavor, no matter how they're prepared.

:LOL:
A bit of pre-conceived opinion, ducky? No, they don't taste like kale or cabbage but they're just as good or as icky in that strangely cruciferous way depending...... :yum: And they're so CUTE!

They have a bitter flavor that not everyone enjoys.

Those people must have a more developed taste for bitterness. Be glad---- it might prevent you from being poisoned! ;)

"[...] the back of our tongue is very sensitive to bitter tastes. This is apparently to protect us so that we can spit out poisonous or spoiled foods or substances before they enter the throat and are swallowed."

So a Brussels sprout will never poison them. :angel:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0033701/

Back
Top Bottom