"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #21
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
the evil brussel sprouts.

Very evil...

Old 05-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Ahhh...but there is purple kale...I plant both--purple and green kale. And I'm loving the purple asparagus--it is so much easier to see against the grass...Most purple veggies turn green when cooked (at least the ones I plant do--purple beans, purple broccoli, purple asparagus, purple okra), but are more nutritious than plain green ones.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #23
Head Chef

I love hominy! Though I always purchase fresh nixtamal when I can.

Mote Pillo (hominy with eggs) is a weekend favorite around here.

No idea where this one came from, but it's high on the request list when we BBQ:

Hominy Casserole

8 slices thick bacon
1 large onion, finely diced
4 14.5-ounce cans white hominy, drained
2 4-ounce cans diced green chilies (Hatch chilies are splendid)
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 seeded, finely diced fresh jalapeno (optional, for heat)
Extra cheddar, bacon, and chilies for sprinkling

Fry the bacon until almost crisp; remove from skillet and drain all but a couple of tablespoons bacon grease. Crumble the bacon and set aside.

Add onion to skillet and cook for a couple of minutes. Pour in hominy and stir for a couple of minute until warm. Add cheese, chilies, jalapenos (if using), and bacon and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.

Pour mixture into a large baking pan and sprinkle with a little more cheese, bacon, and green chilies, if desired.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until hot and heated through.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #24
Master Chef

Z, that recipe looks really close to the one I thought I had made up, only mine has tomatoes.

Quote:
Glad you brought this up. I had nearly forgotten this recipe I posted here four years ago. I must make it this week to go with some grilled rib eyes I have planned.
It's really good.

Something "different".....side dish

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Please, (a foreigner asks) what is "hominy". I gather it could be some sort of grain?
Old 06-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Canned hominy--- uses for: other than pozole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Please, (a foreigner asks) what is "hominy". I gather it could be some sort of grain?

Dried corn kernals processed in lyme. Sold canned here, and frequently used in Southern and Latin American cooking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominy
Old 06-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Dried corn kernals processed in lyme. Sold canned here, and frequently used in Southern and Latin American cooking.

Hominy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thank you.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #28
Master Chef

Mad Cook, you may have also heard of "grits" as a southern comfort food. It's made from ground hominy, as is the finer ground Masa Harina used for making Mexican Tamale's and tortillas.

Here's an interesting read...http://www.ehow.com/facts_7306717_hi...utm_source=ask

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Ahhhh, but those things are the right color. I'll get my antioxidants from spinach and kale, never the evil brussel sprouts.
I think I'm going to set up a support group for the poor brussels sprout - "Are you small, round and green? Do bigger vegetables kick sand in your face? Do humans turn their backs when they see you? Join the Sprout Action Society (AKA the SAS)."

I love them. Eat them regularly in winter and Christmas dinner wouldn't be the same without them. (I don't touch the ones imported from the southern hemisphere in summer they're tasteless) Read the BS section in Jane Grigson's veg book and try some of the recipes. I promise you you'll be converted. The secret is not to boil them to mush.

Up with brussels sprouts - down with kale!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I think I'm going to set up a support group for the poor brussels sprout - "Are you small, round and green? Do bigger vegetables kick sand in your face? Do humans turn their backs when they see you? Join the Sprout Action Society (AKA the SAS)."

I love them. Eat them regularly in winter and Christmas dinner wouldn't be the same without them. (I don't touch the ones imported from the southern hemisphere in summer they're tasteless) Read the BS section in Jane Grigson's veg book and try some of the recipes. I promise you you'll be converted. The secret is not to boil them to mush.

Up with brussels sprouts - down with kale!
Can I be a member of the SAS? It's always strange to see people who love cabbage or kale turn their noses up at Brussels sprouts. Reminds me of a friend who would NOT eat liverwurst but liked Braunschweiger.

Tags
other