Canned hominy--- uses for: other than pozole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
I'm looking for some fairly easy recipes using canned hominy (not grits).
Not pozole----although I do make that and love it.

It doesn't even necessarily have to be Mexican "flavored".

Drain the can and whizz up the kernels in a blender. Drizzle in a little olive oil while it's going. Serve as a dip like hummus.

Drain the can and whizz up the kernels in a blender. Drizzle in a little olive oil while it's going. Serve as a dip like hummus.

You can also use this dip as a sandwich or wrap spread. I'd add some seasoning to it. Maybe garlic powder, cumin, ground coriander, salt and a little cayenne pepper.

I finally opened the can of white hominy I had in the cupboard--thought I'd do a quick posole. The can had been there for about 5-6 months. I've only made posole with blue hominy that I have soaked 24-48 hours. I have to say, the white canned hominy went in the chicken feed bucket. That is really gross stuff if you've every soaked and cooked dried hominy. Sorry, but I won't ever think about using canned hominy again--sort of like canned peas.

Some folks may think this is weird, but my mom used to heat it with evaporated milk, butter and salt and pepper. She probably drained some of the liquid, I do whenever I have done it. I guess I have nothing to compare to, as I have never used the "blue" dry hominy.

Canned Hominy adds great flavor to chili. It's also what you use for corn chowder. Of course it can be used in Posole'. It has a flavor similar to fresh corn tortillas, or tamale dough, with the texture of beans. I would even think it could be mashed and added to refried beans. Don't use it where you would use sweet corn. But I can see it in stews and chowders, in many Mexican, or Tex/Mex dishes. You might even add it to something like a cold gazpacho, or in place of chick peas in a salad, or even add it to a three-bean salad.

That' a few ideas anyways.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've used a similar preparation as Somebunny. My mom always made that for me when I was a kid and I still like it.

Google "hominy recipes" and you'll come up with a lot of different ideas.

Like CSW, I'm not a big fan of canned hominy, but I don't go throwing it into the chicken feed, either.

Succotash is the best use I've found. Mix it with frozen or fresh corn and some baby lima beans. My mom always used to put some crumbled bacon in it as well.

If you have the time and inclination, it's worth making hominy from scratch. But be advised it's a lengthy process requiring special ingredients and not for the faint of heart.

I love the blue hominy I get from Idaho and I love all kinds of legumes--but the canned hominy--the texture was down right gross. The girls liked it.

Like CSW, I'm not a big fan of canned hominy, but I don't go throwing it into the chicken feed, either.

Succotash is the best use I've found. Mix it with frozen or fresh corn and some baby lima beans. My mom always used to put some crumbled bacon in it as well.

If you have the time and inclination, it's worth making hominy from scratch. But be advised it's a lengthy process requiring special ingredients and not for the faint of heart.
I didn't know you had chickens, Steve.:LOL:

The blue hominy is not really blue...more "black" than blue. I plant more purple potatoes than red or yellow. I like making potato salad using purple, red, and yellow potatoes around the 4th of July. But then, purple is my favorite color, so purple veggies always get real estate in my veggie garden.

Blue hominy sounds sooo uneyeappealing to me. Yep, I know that's not a word. lol

Those purple potatoes are a turn off for me too.
Both blue & purple spuds and blue hominy attract me due to both their color, and added nutritional value. The blue potatoes are as full of antioxidents as are spinach, kale, and brussel sprouts.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Both blue & purple spuds and blue hominy attract me due to both their color, and added nutritional value. The blue potatoes are as full of antioxidents as are spinach, kale, and brussel sprouts.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ahhhh, but those things are the right color. I'll get my antioxidants from spinach and kale, never the evil brussel sprouts.

Back
Top Bottom