Canned Nuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
How long do they last in an unopened can? I have a big can (coffee can size) of fancy mixed nuts that I bought over a year ago. I'm wondering if they're still good to eat, or if I should feed them to the squirrels.

Connie, are you sure there is no expiration date printed anywhere on the container? They usually do... sometimes it is hard to notice combined with other numbers and codes, but you can usually spot the date... however if it is not opened they can last quite a long time, well over a year. If I were you I wouldn't have a second thought and would eat them, but then again if you are in doubt... I can't say it for sure... take another good look on the container for the expiration date!

I'm with Alix... try one... if you bite into a bad nut
you'll be able to tell right away. YUCK

Nuts expire within 9 months and if you eat them after that, they can be really rancid:sick: . (I used to work at a chocolate store and that's what we were told for the expiration date of nut products)

I could share them...it's a really big can. We had them left from making Chex Mix for gifts. If the nuts aren't rancid, I'll eat the fancy nuts and let the squirrels have the peanuts.
I just wonder if some nuts last longer than others, and if one bad nut ruins the whole bunch.
My squirrels are pretty well fed. They get all the stale bread and cereal. They especially love cornbread, but then, most critters do.

HB says I should fatten the squirrels up, in case worst comes to worst. :ROFLMAO:

If they still taste fine you could make a mixed nut brittle, this can then be eaten as is or crumbled up and sprinkled over things like cakes and ice cream :)

(Constance, can you send me any almonds, they're my favourite :mrgreen:)

Will do, Jessica. I like the cashews and hazel nuts the best.
Can you imagaine how happy one of those big Brazil nuts would make a squirrel?

Constance said:
Will do, Jessica. I like the cashews and hazel nuts the best.
Can you imagaine how happy one of those big Brazil nuts would make a squirrel?
Thanks Constance :) I think that the squirel's expression when he got a Brazil nut in his little hands would be something like this :D

Learn something new all the time. I didn't know nuts sealed in a pressure
seal can could go bad in a year's time. Then again, I wouldn't want to eat
keep anything for more than 6 months without eating it. I don't get that.

I"d say if they taste good, they are okay. If you give some to the birds, you may want to get as much salt as possible off of them.

Back
Top Bottom