Canned tomato sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which canned tomato sauce

• Hunt's

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Redpack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
as far as sauce goes, i've bought hunts once or twice, and with some doctoring made good, quick, improved sauce with them. i particularly remember a good shrimp and scallop dish made with hunts, mostly becauce the protein and fresh herbs were perfect without much cooking. the sauce was just right with their additions.

andy, i've also found muir glenn to be too acidic a few times, but other times good. it seems they're not consistent.

for canned tomatoes (not sauce), i prefer cento, la fede, or what i freeze from my garden.

Last edited:
I do not buy sauce, for me it is a texture thing.

I buy whole, diced, crushed and paste.

I do not have any brand loyalty when it comes to canned tomato products.

justplainbill said:
What's your preference for canned tomato sauce?
We've used Hunts and Redpack.
The plus for Hunt's (aside from our owning ConAgra stock) is that the can liner is non-plastic.
Redpack has a few additional ingredients ( garlic, onion and red peppers).

I have not found a sauce to this day that is as good as making it myself. And as prices have raised quality has dropped. A lot of sauces in my opinion have thinned out and are just too runny

Dengirl said:
I have not found a sauce to this day that is as good as making it myself. And as prices have raised quality has dropped. A lot of sauces in my opinion have thinned out and are just too runny

Oopps I thought this was a spaghetti sauce not tomato . Sorry

For tomato sauce I like Hunts. For spaghetti sauce I always keep a jar of traditional Ragu in the pantry for just in case. I prefer Rao's but it's too expensive.

I believe the brand is DeLallo. I purchace the canned tomato product with the least added ingredients. I use tomato puree instead of tomato sauce. I also love diced tomato, and tomato paste for the same reasons. Once in a while, I'll get stewed tomatoes. It's a warm-fuzzy thing to do, as my mother used to make stewed tomatoes and serve them at dinner time, once in a while.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

your mom served warm, fuzzy tomatoes??? :huh:

lol, j/k.

Now BT, I know that as a child, you were refereed to by your siblings as the warm, fuzzy, Tasmanian Devil. And no, she didn't serve us warm, fuzzy tomatoes. We did, however, participate in a rotten tomato fight at one of my stepfather's cousin's house. And the adults started it. The harvest season was over, and there were still tomatoes in the garden, several rows of them. I recall that it was very messy, and a whole lot of fun. I mean, when do you ever, as a child, get to throw a tomato at an adult? C'mon. How great was that day?:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever bought tomato sauce. Diced, stewed, whole, are my preferences. Like the Chief, I love stewed with butter on them. I used to serve them to my kids as a side all the time. I don't like tomatoes that are packed in puree. I use the diced if I am making pasta and want something on them. I usually get the ones with oregano and garic. Then I add more garlic. You can never have too much garlic. The whole tomatoes are for the mac and cheese, Italian style. Sometimes when I just want something to snack, I will open a can of tomatoes and heat them up, a hunk of butter and I am a happy camper. :chef:

Normally I but Hunt's or DelMonte to keep in the pantry. I will occasionally buy Ragu if it is on sale and I have a decent coupon. I also keep cans of whole, crushed, and pureed tomatoes on hand as well. Usually Furmano's or the brand the local store carries ( I can't think of the name.)

I guess you mean spaghetti sauce? I prefer Prego Traditional (and I add lots of stuff to it like garlic, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, etc).

I think the topic is about plain tomato sauce, but I like Prego Traditional too. I have my home made spaghetti sauce recipe that takes hours to make. My GF took me to visit her dad who cooked us spaghetti with Prego and I thought "yuck!" But it was pretty good, not nearly as good as my 2-3 hour sauce even by a half, but sometimes I just want to nuke something, and then I use Prego. I too add to it, like fresh basil, garlic, etc.

I guess you mean spaghetti sauce? I prefer Prego Traditional (and I add lots of stuff to it like garlic, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, etc).

I like Chunky Prego's also. I add garlic to everything. I also buy the diced tomatoes. They only thing I don't like about the diced, is that I sometimes get the skin from the tomatoes. But that doesn't stop me from buying them. I like to get the seasoned ones with garlic and oregano. And I add more garlic. You can never have too much garlic. I also keep small cans of sliced mushrooms on hand to add occasionaly. But I do prefer fresh. I have never bought canned tomato sauce. If I want sauce I will cook the diced down to mush and mash them.

I am not one to put a lot of sauce on my pasta. Just enough to coat it. I hate having a pool of sauce at the end of the meal still sitting on the plate.

BTW, my daughter made her Sunday gravy yesterday and she is going to bring me a big plate of raviolis with sausages. I will be eating good tonight. Also some gravy for the freezer.

I buy 'American' tomatoes in the can for Italian mac and cheese. And for Italian dishes I buy imported plum tomates in the can. I don't like the ones packed in puree. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom