"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Which canned tomato sauce
Hunt's 5 23.81%
Redpack 0 0%
Other 16 76.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't think I have ever bought tomato sauce. Diced, stewed, whole, are my preferences. Like the Chief, I love stewed with butter on them. I used to serve them to my kids as a side all the time. I don't like tomatoes that are packed in puree. I use the diced if I am making pasta and want something on them. I usually get the ones with oregano and garic. Then I add more garlic. You can never have too much garlic. The whole tomatoes are for the mac and cheese, Italian style. Sometimes when I just want something to snack, I will open a can of tomatoes and heat them up, a hunk of butter and I am a happy camper.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

IMO, Contadina is the best canned tomato on the market. The only thing better is what comes off the vine.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #33
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Normally I but Hunt's or DelMonte to keep in the pantry. I will occasionally buy Ragu if it is on sale and I have a decent coupon. I also keep cans of whole, crushed, and pureed tomatoes on hand as well. Usually Furmano's or the brand the local store carries ( I can't think of the name.)
Old 05-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #34
Senior Cook

I guess you mean spaghetti sauce? I prefer Prego Traditional (and I add lots of stuff to it like garlic, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, etc).
Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #35
Executive Chef

I think the topic is about plain tomato sauce, but I like Prego Traditional too. I have my home made spaghetti sauce recipe that takes hours to make. My GF took me to visit her dad who cooked us spaghetti with Prego and I thought "yuck!" But it was pretty good, not nearly as good as my 2-3 hour sauce even by a half, but sometimes I just want to nuke something, and then I use Prego. I too add to it, like fresh basil, garlic, etc.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbuter View Post
I guess you mean spaghetti sauce? I prefer Prego Traditional (and I add lots of stuff to it like garlic, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, etc).
I like Chunky Prego's also. I add garlic to everything. I also buy the diced tomatoes. They only thing I don't like about the diced, is that I sometimes get the skin from the tomatoes. But that doesn't stop me from buying them. I like to get the seasoned ones with garlic and oregano. And I add more garlic. You can never have too much garlic. I also keep small cans of sliced mushrooms on hand to add occasionaly. But I do prefer fresh. I have never bought canned tomato sauce. If I want sauce I will cook the diced down to mush and mash them.

I am not one to put a lot of sauce on my pasta. Just enough to coat it. I hate having a pool of sauce at the end of the meal still sitting on the plate.

BTW, my daughter made her Sunday gravy yesterday and she is going to bring me a big plate of raviolis with sausages. I will be eating good tonight. Also some gravy for the freezer.

I buy 'American' tomatoes in the can for Italian mac and cheese. And for Italian dishes I buy imported plum tomates in the can. I don't like the ones packed in puree.

Tags
tomato, tomato sauce