Cannoli filling ideas anyone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparklyj

Assistant Cook
Hi!! I need some ideas! I have a whole bunch of cannoli filling from when my boyfriend's sister visited and we made cannoli's. I want to do something with it, but I can't come up with anything. Anyone have any recipes that would call for alreay made cannoli filling or just any ideas on what to do with it?? Let me know. Thanks a bunch!

I'm not sure how well it would freeze - but I am sure someone here will tell you. That sure would make things easier for the next time, huh? Here's an idea - eat it! I love cannoli!

I don't know how well cannoli FILLING freezes, but I know that cannolis freeze pretty well. I would imagine it'd be the same thing...only difference between the two is that the shell of the cannoli would be protecting the filling from the ice crystals.

Get a large chicken breast, cut it in half horizontally, place between two sheets of plastic wrap (or baking/silicone paper) and pound until it is fairly thin and quite large.

Spread some filling over it, roll it up and either tie it with string, or skewer it with bamboo skewers (better with the string). Heat some oil in a frypan, brown the chicken all over then place in the oven to finish off.

Will also work with veal escalopes/schnitzel.

Another thing you could try is adding it to some soft polenta towards the end of cooking time. Or, using polenta again, make polenta type cake. Firm polenta, spread the filling over it, cover with another layer of firm polenta, bake in the oven till the top is crispy.

Another idea, take a fairly small butternut pumpkin (squash). Halve it lengthways, scoop out all the seeds, spoon in some of the cannoli filling, place the other half back on top then bake in a 200'C oven until tender.

Cut the top off of a nice ripe tomato, scoop out the pulp and seeds leaving a nice firm shell, spoon the filling in, roast for a bit (not that long). Same thing could be done with red capsicum (bell pepper).

Use it as the filling in some arancini (do a search to find an arancini recipe on these boards).

I could come up with a lot more, but see how you go with them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom