"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
I always use a 10" pan for a French rolled omelette (or omelet??) and cook it over HIGH heat very rapidly. Should only take just over a minute, without burning. A lot of it is in the wrist.
is that for 1 person or several people? i make individual omelettes (i think it is spelled both ways).

Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #12
Sous Chef

One at a time, only. And there's probably more ways to spell it, too. Doesn't matter as long as we both know what we're talking about. When I was cooking for a crowd, I'd mix up all the eggs in a big bowl or pitcher and dip out what I needed as I cooked along. Had various fillings in separate bowls within easy reach. Learned from Julia Child programs and books.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
One at a time, only. And there's probably more ways to spell it, too. Doesn't matter as long as we both know what we're talking about. When I was cooking for a crowd, I'd mix up all the eggs in a big bowl or pitcher and dip out what I needed as I cooked along. Had various fillings in separate bowls within easy reach. Learned from Julia Child programs and books.
hmmmmmmmmm so it is a large 1 person omelet. that sounds like i won't have any raw spots due to more surface area. i only have small 3 -small (maybe 7 in) pans that i use for making crepes for my blintz recipe. i will have to see about getting a 10 in pan. i do have a large non-stick straight sided pan, not good for omelettes.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Yes, you need a slope-sided pan. Although you can't take some beans with you to the store, hold the pan you're looking at like you are cooking an omelet in it and are flipping the eggs. Them, if the pan feels right in your imagination, buy it. Good quality of course. And not too heavy, so it will heat quickly.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
Master Chef

these are the non-stick pans i like

Scanpan

you can use metal in them. they are a bit pricey but worth it. i got a "Try Me" price of $39.99 for my 8 in (i thought it was 7 in). i can't find a pic of my large pan w/lid. but that also had a "Try Me" price, i think it is 10 or 12 in with two "helper" handles, no long handle.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Looks like a nice pan, but the sides are too low for flipping omelets.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Looks like a nice pan, but the sides are too low for flipping omelets.

That's similar to the pans I use. I didn't think the sides were too low at all. Dave, how high are the sides on your pan?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #18
Master Chef

the sides don't seem that low but i don't flip omelets, i do the alton fold instead. i DO however flip over easy eggs 2 at a time (due to the fact that when i use a spatula i break the yolks sometimes and i hate broken dipping eggs!! ) and have no problem.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
I always use a 10" pan for a French rolled omelette (or omelet??) and cook it over HIGH heat very rapidly. Should only take just over a minute, without burning. A lot of it is in the wrist.
and that takes practice!
Old 04-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Andy: Judging from the picture I'd say at least half agin as high.

June: Yup. Lots. And many messes to clean up before I really got it. Worth the effort though.