"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Dave the Baker,

About the 1# sack of beans - I'm assuming that exercise is to work on my flipping skills (to which I have none)? Is the idea to try to flip the sack 180 degrees using my wrist?

It sounds like you've tried cooking omelets with eggbeaters but without success, so its probably the eggs and butter that makes the difference. In cooking episode by Alton, he suggested using warm eggs as opposed to eggs fresh out of the fridge (supposedly the french do it this way). I wonder if warming egg beaters would have the same effect?

Old 04-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

tommy, one you learn the 'flip' you'll use it a lot.

The curved side of the pan does the work. If you pull the pan towards you sharply, the sack of beans is pushed into the opposite wall of the pan. It follows the curve of the pan up into the air and flips. All you have to do is have the pan in place to catch it when it comes down.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #23
Sous Chef

I'm afraid I didn't myself entirely clear. One opens the sack of dry beans and places the desired amount, starting small, into the pan in question. Then proceed by giving the pan a small forward movement followed by the sharp jerk backwards as described by Andy. This will cause the dry beans to move toward the far edge of the pan and the jerk will cause them to rise upward amd toward the flipper. The next job is to catch them in the pan. Next step: Pick the dry beans up off the floor and replace them in the pan. Once you have successfully managed to flip a small amount of dry beans a lot of times without spilling them, increase the amount of dry beans and keep practicing. Once you have the confidence, try making an omelet (keep the mop handy). Get your pan very hot, add 1 Tbsp Butter and rapidly swirl it around the pan. Add the pre-mixed eggs and tilt the pan about to cover the bottom. Loosen the sides with a rapid motion of the spatula. Add filling if desired. With a practiced motion do the flipping motion to flip 1/3 of the omelet at the far end of the pan over; quickly repeat the motion to fold the 2/3 portion over the remaining one-third portion; slide onto a warm plate and serve at once.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
...Next step: Pick the dry beans up off the floor and replace them in the pan...

Old 04-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

it is all in the wrist, try practicing with toast
Old 04-19-2009, 02:59 AM   #26
Sous Chef

That really doesn't compute, as we're dealing with a fluid.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
ditto
Old 04-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
That really doesn't compute, as we're dealing with a fluid.
well ummmmmmmmmmm beans aren't fluid either and toast has a bit more mass like an omelet. jmtc
Old 04-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #29
Sous Chef

well ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beans behave more like a fluid than a somewhat crisp rectangle of bread. Dry beans are used as a substitute for the eggs as they are easier to sweep up. Once you have mastered the technique you are free to flip anything you like, toast, road apples or whatever........................
Old 04-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
well ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beans behave more like a fluid than a somewhat crisp rectangle of bread. Dry beans are used as a substitute for the eggs as they are easier to sweep up. Once you have mastered the technique you are free to flip anything you like, toast, road apples or whatever........................
LOL i only flip overeasy eggs. never tried to flip an omelet, i just do the fold.