Can't cook a French omelet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the perfect egg pan, an old Griswold/Wagner 9" chef's skillet...cast iron, with gently curved sides. Great for flipping eggs, and perfect for omelettes. I fold omelettes when I plate them. Slide 'em out and fold with the edge of the pan. If you don't want your eggs to brown on the bottom, put them under the broiler to finish. I just replaced my Dualit 4 slice toaster with a toaster oven so I could have a counter top broiler, for this reason.

There's no reason to flip an omelette. A proper omelette can be made without flipping, and if done properly, there will be no browning.

And 10" is huge. Much too big for a 2 or 3 egg omelette.

If you don't flip (or roll) an omelette, you don't have an omelette, but you might have a fritatta (spelling). And a 10" pan works just fine, if you know what you're doing.

If you don't flip (or roll) an omelette, you don't have an omelette, but you might have a fritatta (spelling). And a 10" pan works just fine, if you know what you're doing.
omelets aren't supposed to be cooked on both sides. the center is suppossed to be soft. omelets are folded or rolled.

a fritatta is flipped and cooked on both sides.

Which is why you fold or flip an omelette; that, and to cover the filling. "Flip" refers to the action of the wrist that is used to fold or roll the omelette. To digress further would be sophomoric. Endit.

Well, this is all news to me. I have never heard of anyone flipping an omelette. Sounds far too much like hard work. I love omelettes, in part because they are so easy, so much as the flipping technique sounds intriguing, it also seems to defeat the object for me.

My method is real eggs (two for one person or three for two people, my usual pan is not big enough to make larger omelettes), a tablespoon of milk and black pepper. Mix with a fork to break up the eggs and incorporate the milk. Do not whisk a lot of air in. The milk seems to help to loosen the eggs and gives you a bit of a runny middle to the finished omelette. Just the way I like them.

Also, my omelettes turn out much better when fried in butter, not oil. Oil seems to give them a leathery texture on the cooked side that you don't get with butter. My omelette pan has a heavy base and rounded sides, is non-stick and only 6 inches across at the base.

To give the finished omelette a nice ruffled look that is part yellow and part golden brown, I fry the omelette very briefly until it is just beginning to set at the edges. Then I take a wooden spatula and gather the edge in towards the centre while tilting the pan to allow the runny mixture to cover the exposed bit of the pan base. I do this around the entire edge.

I like my omelettes a bit gooey, so it's not long before I can slide it out onto a plate, folding the top half onto the bottom half as it emerges from the pan using the same method as gadzooks.

My favourite is cheese omelette. I add grated emmenthal just before I start gathering in the edge to the centre.

The basic problem with trying to fry egg whites is they have no binder. The yolk is the binder. In my opinion if you want to make a nice omlet use 1 whole egg for every 2 or 3 artifical eggs.

I do the same substitution in cake recipes..

Last edited:
Which is why you fold or flip an omelette; that, and to cover the filling. "Flip" refers to the action of the wrist that is used to fold or roll the omelette. To digress further would be sophomoric. Endit.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. When you said "flip" I assumed you meant flipping the already folded omelette over like you would if you were sauteeing an onion. Of course you have to fold it. But I just use a spatula for this. No need to "flip".

Back
Top Bottom