"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Caramel Apples, Deceptively difficult. Please help. SOS.

Hey guys, so i've been trying to make gourmet caramel apples to give as gifts to friends. I've tried 5 times now with different recipes and methods. They look and taste great at first, but after a few hours the caramel and toppings start oozing (melt?) to the bottom. I placed them in the fridge immediately after i dipped them and added toppings. I let them set for about an hour or two, before i wrap them in cellophane. However when i let them sit at room temperature (both in cellophane and without) after a few hours the caramel and toppings start to pool at the bottom. Is there any suggestions on how to tackle this problem? I think my caramel is fine, i was meticulous in following the recipe. I was under the assumption that caramel apples can sit at room temperature without loosing shape...?
(Extra question for any enlightened people) (I boiled the apples in water for about 30 seconds to remove the wax, the granny smith apples seem to hold shape the longest but eventually pool at the bottom as well. The fuji apples after boiling started to bleed and ooze out little drops of red liquid all over the apple. I wiped and dried of the apple of any liquid or residue before i dipped them but after a few hours even in the fridge i can notice the caramel melting or slipping from the inside, i'm assuming it has something to do with the bleeding. The granny smith apples do not seem to bleed at all and are dry throughout. Anyone have any idea what the bleeding/oozing is/how to tackle it?) Thanks heaps guys, I know I'm asking a lot of questions but this is really driving me nuts right now and I have spent so much money on trying to get this right that I now refuse to be beaten by these deceptively complicated caramel apples. )

Old 02-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
Master Chef

Here is a recent thread to get you started until others chime in.

ISO ideas/tips for caramel apples recipe

IMO you should consider making something that you are familiar/comfortable with as a gift for family and friends.

Good luck and welcome to DC.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I made mustard for Christmas gifts last year. It was really easy and very well received. I used this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...me-recipe.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1454603193720.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	24277  
Old 02-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
Master Chef

Have you tried making them without putting them in boiling water first? You can buy unwaxed apples from a farm stand for example.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have a feeling it's the boiling water dipping too.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
Head Chef

I'd say the caramel must be solid and keep it's shape at room temperature.
If you aren't sure of that, then it may not stay solid on the apple.

When you are coating the apples the apples must be fairly cool, so the caramel gets back to room temperature quickly. The caramel will have to be warmed slightly so it 'melt' and 'attach' to the apple. The extra decorations would have to be put on the outside when the caramel is still warm. You'd want to get it cool as soon as possible so it would go to a solid state.

I made three batches of caramel last week. The first was heated too hot, and was like a solid mass of almost hard candy--too hot. The second was beautiful but at room temperature it would not hold it's shape--too cool at 245 F, and I turned it into caramel sauce. The third batch was beautiful and it was heated to 255 F, it was solid and did not droop at room temperature.

If you made a batch of caramel like my third batch, you would have to warm it back up in order to use it on apples. I hope that helps.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I have a feeling it's the boiling water dipping too.
Yup, it shouldn't take more than 5 seconds to melt off wax, not 30. By that time the skin has cooked.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, apples, caramel, other