Career Advice Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again very true Expatgirl but across the board. Recession are hard for most. Everything is going up here each week cos of the mining boom in the northwest of the state so to most of us not involved with the boom, it feels like the start of a recession. The last time Australia went through a recession, I was still living at home so didn't really feel it. These current hikes are really starting to hit hard.

Boy do I hear you.......believe it or not the turndown in the US economy is even affecting Kazakhstan right now and the rest of the world.......it's funny and scary to witness it firsthand.....when I went thru the last bad recession I was still in the states....but it has worldwide impact in so many ways

One would imagine, perhaps erroneously, that for a recession to hit somewhere like Kazakhstan, it would be felt much more intensely than places like Australia or US. Am I right in that thought?

sorry if I confused you, Bilby----no, there is no recession here but the weak US dollar has had an impact here and most places in the world---how much I don't know....but it's being felt just the same

No I understand that. I guess I should have said, "do you think a recession would be felt worse in Kazkahstan than ...." if one were to happen there. Not meaning that it was happening. It was just that I hadn't considered how a country like Kazakhstan would react to one.

I can remember when we closed on our home 20 years ago (after the failure of so many Savings and Loans that went under because of the same bad loans as today) we had to actually bring an ATM receipt of our savings to the closing. Most banks only allow you to draw a minimum each day so they had an accurate idea of how much you had in the bank.......

No I understand that. I guess I should have said, "do you think a recession would be felt worse in Kazkahstan than ...." if one were to happen there. Not meaning that it was happening. It was just that I hadn't considered how a country like Kazakhstan would react to one.
That's a great question!!! I'll ask our finance manager the next time I see him or my husband and get back with you......

There are many positives to being a chef, yes. You will definitely always have work, you will have the ability to be creative...perhaps even artistic if you have it in you, you will eat well and you will eat for free, you will probably (as a chef) drink for free, you will meet a lot of people and you will develop friendships that are pretty tight.

A lot of people these days watch cooking shows on food network and think it would be great to be a chef. They see chefs standing and working in a relaxed, controlled atmosphere and being very creative. This is great, however, working in a real restaurant kitchen isn't like that. Those shows only show you a glimpse of one small aspect of the chef's day.

Actually, I have just finished shooting a demo for The Food Network here in Canada. I have one final segment to shoot and then it will be edited and then I can see the final product. It was fun and I hope we land the show. I still love to cook, and for me, the greatest thrill of the job is blowing someone away with my food. I am an artist and a chef. I have a natural artistic ability that will surface one way or another, and right now it manifests on the plates I put out of my kitchen at Eaton Hall.

If you want the career...jump in. Get a good pair of cork soled Birkenstocks and throw your watch away.

Marko

:chef:auntieK...Marko has given you the 'real' insight-in some cases the downside...I am a certified personal executive chef-am 52-been in kitchens since I was 13-been the chef at catfish houses to 3 star restaurants-TV shows-been there done that-right now I teach culinary at both the local jr. college and the university and have a culinary consulting firm...you've dreamed of being a chef-the food network has created a glorified position as a chef to it's audiences...I still watch it---re-read Marko's take on it...my passion seems to come and go the last couple of years...maybe there is a market in your area like there is in mine-my most enjoyment comes from small elegant dinner parties or outdoor(at their homes) grilling-I use their kitchens-in and out in about 3 or 4 hrs-in florida an occupational license cost $13.50 yearly-you are not catering-you are providing a professional 'service' therefore you don't have to go thru all the inspections and license-be just as creative as you want and make good money...my students I advise to learn the business end-a lot more to being a chef than mere cooking...a year and a half to 2 years culinary-the poorer you are the more the gov't will pay-while you are in school you will work at a restaurant-see if your dream as reality suits you-you are young-apply for grants-go to school-learn to think outside the 'restaurant box'-as head chef in arestaurant...you have no outside life.

I appreciate your advices Chef Mark and Marko and I, too, at one time flirted with the idea of at least going into the catering field via culinary school but I also know that it's a full-time job....I'm just not up to that fast paced life esp. based on what I've heard on this thread.....I'm not discouraged....I just really appreciate people's and chefs' insights who have been there, done that, and still are doing that........thanks for your thoughts on the subject as being professionals yourselves as well as others who have posted.......

Back
Top Bottom