"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-19-2004, 12:03 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I've been cooking professionally for 16 years...best I can do is for you to think about it.

You've been given a lot of good advice.

You just don't jump into a high paying job, straight out of culinary school. I never went to school, and I've seen a lot of grads that couldn't handle a dinner rush.

Try working in a small restaurant first to see if you can handle it.

Keep your focus!!!!!

Old 12-19-2004, 03:05 AM   #12

Sorry...but please advise the list of "meaningful jobs or careers" that pay 30-40K to what, again, I'm sorry, a "recent college graduate"...without significant experience in the field, or transitioning through "post graduate" training with some sort of "mentor"...

The posts above are entirely "correct"...you have to evolve some sort of "passion" in what you are doing, careerwise, and pursue it...often without monetary "compensation" (ie a good deal of "sacrifice"!), while perhaps exploring the concepts outside your "original" (hobby?) aim...

And the "evolution" will have some "pains" as well as "costs", and the "creativity" that you want to get to will have a "bill" to be paid for as well...

And many others (some of whom you will be "measurably" better than!) will be making a ton more than you, along the way, or at the end...and you better get used to that, because at the end of the day, it hardly about money...its about givig "service and contentment" to the people you serve (so sorry I'm phrasing this so poorly!) and extracting some sort of job/career contentment from doing so...

Its not "hard" to get to being worth a "million dollars", given you are prepared to give up a "life" or "family"...its "easy" to get a "life", if you lose the "goal" of a million dollars...a "family" might (but not neccessarily!) cost you both...decide what your "real goals" are, before you fire any shots...

Old 12-19-2004, 06:21 AM   #13
Master Chef

Definitely agree with everyone who says to take a kitchen job on the low end of the scale first. You won't have to be an unpaid volunteer, trust me. Those minimum wage jobs in the kitchen go begging for employees everywhere in the country (and I've been everywhere). The main thing is you need to find out if you can stand the pressure and the heat. These are not minor considerations. I've always loved to cook, and quickly found out that I cannot see with steamed up glasses (I'm blind without them), and don't want to spend my life with people screaming and yelling at me and everyone around me constantly. Don't just say to yourself, oh, that's no big deal. DO IT first. No matter how good your education is, you are NOT going to start out as the head chef in any kitchen, anywhere, unless your folks are so rich they can buy you a restaurant as a graduation present. So find out if you can handle life in the kitchen before wasting your time & money.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:23 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I often said if I could do it over again I would have gone to Culinary School and become a Chef until I got to know a chef and a restaurant owner. The hours are way to long for me.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:33 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Same here. You'd have to put a gun to my head before I'd get myself into that line of work. I admire anyone who can do it, though!
Old 12-19-2004, 11:55 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Same here. You'd have to put a gun to my head before I'd get myself into that line of work.
I still would not do it.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:02 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Can't say that I blame ya.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:05 PM   #18
Master Chef

Yeah, I missed saying that the hours are hell, especially on family life, if you can actually make a romance work that far. And this is something that gets worse with time, not better. Once you get a following in the community, people will want you to be there, or they might not go to the restaurant (I'm speaking as a customer). There are certain restaurants I will not go to unless XXXX is cooking, because the food is appreciably better. Good for me, has to be hell on the spouse and kids. AND don't forget split shifts. That's lots of fun. I'm sure there's lots of job satisfaction if you truly love doing it, but it is very hard work. A must read is Tony Bourlain's "Kitchen Confidential". I lasted a month in a restaurant and decided the old nine-to-five was for me. Steady pay, no one screaming at me, weekends off. Had I gone into the food biz, I'm sure I'd hate cooking by now.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:19 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I was a server at Friday's for about a year and a half and that was enough to drive me batty! The money was great but we were constantly short staffed and serving 6 tables during a rush is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. The jury is still out on whether I quit or got fired. The general manager despised me because I didn't prance around yelling "Go Team!" and I refused to wear those dumb*ss suspenders! I have a couple buddies who still work in the kitchen there and it should come to no one's surprise that they drink themselves blind every night! :roll:
Old 12-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

wow! thanks for all the replies! I understand, with anything you do if you don't have the heart and drive you'll never suceed or be happy! The resturant business is no joke, I understand that. After talking with some chef's to gain some perspective on this caeer, I feel like I may have some second thoughts..mainly because of the LONG hours, I don't think I can have a career where I rarely see my loved ones. Besides the resturant industry, is there anything you can do with having a AS or BS in Culinary Arts besides manage a resturant.. like maybe work in a office dealing with food of some sort?