Career as a chef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grew to hate the business because its like goin to a 16 hour plus party. Sounds like fun but it wears you out real quick.

You could try bartending! I have a buddy that tends bar at a place called Quaker Steak n Lube and she pulls in about three to four hundo in tips a night during weekends, not counting what she makes during the week. Not so sure about what you can do with a culinary arts degree, I'll let the pros here answer that one! :)

How about working for a catering company? Get the experience you need, and then open your own catering company.

You can become a purveyor. A culinary arts degree will put you on the same level as those you'll be serving and you'll be able to speak their language from the start.

I know several people who started in food sales and quickly moved their way up just because they were able to anticipate what their clients needed.

You could work in a school cafeteria. The pay isn't so good, but you'll get a lot of the same breaks the kids do, which means time with your family during important holidays.

amber said:
How about working for a catering company? Get the experience you need, and then open your own catering company.

hmmm... How is the job market for this type of job like?

My dream job would be working at a paper or magazine where food was important ... for example, working on the food supplement to your local paper. If you are good with words, have a steady hand (for photography), etc, you might be able to do something like that. You can also look for a degree in public relations and work for a restaurant chain in that regard. Remember, Jacques Pepin really made his name working for ... Howard Johnsons. He's responsible for the fact that we can now travel coast to coast and eat decent food. Many of you are way too young to remember that travel often meant really awful food. We may complain about the chains (and I do), but when I remember some meals I had to eat in younger years, I thank Jacques. But yes, there are many ancilary jobs having to do with food. Nutritionist. Nine-to-five, and you can consult many cafeterias and industrial places. May not appeal right now to your creative spirit, but ... wrong. There's a story behind that one, and I'll be back with it some time.

I am more interested in resturant management.. will this be a good route..The Art Institute of Atlanta is where I am going to attend offers a associates in culinary arts and then after that a bachelors in restaruant management. Or is it better going to another school and going through 4 years of business management???

If you're really sure re restaurant management, then do the culinary program, where it will zero in on the aspects of that type of management.

Think about a job waiting tables, too, so you can see what the 'front of the house' is like.

I think restaurant management is an 'upcoming' area; most chefs don't have a clue re managing the house, and I firmly believe that's why a lot of restaurants fail.

j-spec said:
amber said:

hmmm... How is the job market for this type of job like?

I guess that depends on where you live. Check in the phone book, or look up online your local catering companies, and apply for a job. I suppose they would be especially busy around holiday times, christmas parties, new years eve parties, business parties.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom