carmelized honey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parag

Assistant Cook
I have heard that caramelized honey is awesome and i wanted to make some, but when i heated honey in a saucepan the mixture heated and cooled just like sugar would, like hard candy. how do i caramelize the honey without ruining the texture?

You have to add small amounts of water to keep the liquid texture. By heating you are removing the water inherent in the honey.

when do a add the water? just after if drops below 200 again?

I've never caramelized honey, but you are not going to keep the texture by heating it and NOT adding water. I guess I would dissolve it in 10% as much water to begin with and then start heating until it reaches the taste and color you want while still being liquid.

i saw on a google search recipe that they say to add a few drops lemon juice, would that really keep from hardening? or just help keep from crystallizing

No idea! Maybe if you link to the recipe we could help you out better. It's hard to know what's wrong without seeing the whole picture.

How to caramelize honey | ifood.tv

when i was heating it i kept pulling a spoon out a time while it was boiling, and each step it got darker and cooled harder each time, on the last one it cooled to hard ball, and really stuck to my teeth, but tasted good.
i dont have lemon juice, does cream of tartar work?

thanks alot

Your honey should not boil, according to the recipe. Should only simmer for a couple of minutes and the remove from heat. No, cream of tarter will not work.

Back
Top Bottom