Carnitas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rigonav

Assistant Cook
hi everyone , im new to the site so bear with me, hope im in the right spot for this question. i am looking for a recipe for carnitas , i am going to use my turkey fryer for it. i was told to use canola oil ,anyone know the temps for the oil and how long to cook the shoulder ? i was also told to use a copper pot , is there any relevance to using copper over the pot that came with the fryer? some seasoning ideas would be great too. thank you:pig:

This is a slow cooked (braised) recipe. It's basically a pot roast.

Some carnitas recipes call for browning the chunks of pork in hot oil (a coating on the bottom of the pot) before adding liquid and braising. The pork is definitely not deep fried.

Slow cook, then pull or chunk the meat, which then gets a crisping in oil or under a broiler.\

This is the recipe I used; thought it came out well, although next time I'd probably do a skillet
fry of the meat instead of broiling.

1 habanero chile or any hot pepper, minced
2 cloves garlic, grated
Mexican Rub (see Below)
juice of 1/2 orange
juice of 1 lime
1/8 cup brown sugar
1 shallot, grated
mix in mortar to make a paste
MEX RUB
Chili, garlic, cumin, season salt, pepper, ginger, oregano

Chicken broth
1/2 tsp oregano
dash mesquite smoke
Orange juice
1/2 onion
some pickled peppers
2 garlic cloves

Cut pork into 3 inch chunks. Rub well with marinade. Put in ziploc bag and let sit for 2 hrs.
Put the pork into a large skillet or wok. Add chicken broth to come up halfway on the meat. Add the other ingredients.
Cover and simmer for 2 hrs, turning occasionally. (You can also do this in the oven.)
The pork should be just about falling apart at this point. Remove the pork and shred. Add a little of the pan juice if needed to keep pork nice and moist.
Return to skillet and crisp in some fat.

Back
Top Bottom