Carpel Tunnel and Potato Peeling - Xmas gift for mom please advise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JowAngel

Assistant Cook
My mother had carpel tunnel surgery on both hands. Unfortunately the surgery on her right hand severed a nerve and 2 fingers are very painful to her to touch things with the tips. So some things have become very difficult to her, especially in the kitchen.

Potatoe peeling is one of those things!

Does anyone use a good electric or crank kind of potatoe peeler? I've seen multiple versions and I'm curious which to buy. Yes I'm sure none are as thorough as the old fashioned way, but this is so she can peel herself and not need other people to (though she probably doesn't mind pawning off that work).

So there's a crank version that you just have to manually turn, but the blade does the peeling. That might still be a bit too much work for her, I don't know.

Then there's a fully automated version of that that spirals down the potatoe, but I see lots of mixed reviews about that model!

Then there's some models that are handheld and have rotating blades. So you still have to hold both the potatoe and the cutter, but you don't have the constant up/down motion at least.

Any ideas??

She does have a PT, but I have no idea who or have contact with them. But I'll check out those sites. Tons of great gift ideas there! Thanks.

She does have a PT, but I have no idea who or have contact with them. But I'll check out those sites. Tons of great gift ideas there! Thanks.
It does not have to be her PT you contact. Pull out the phone book and pick one at random and explain what you are looking for. While they will not know your moms exact condition, you will be able to give them enough info that they could probably make some suggestions. Good luck!

Oh duh! That's true. I think my massuese is a PT for her day job. She may know.

Even if she is not a PT she will very possibly have some good suggestions since she probably knows anatomy better than most.

as well as having a good link to where to purchase such equipment.

Yep. Thanks guys! Glad I found the site. I love to cook but tend to get lazy about it since it's just for me.

You have a wealth of information already but I thought I would add my experience.

I have arthritis and tendinitis in both wrists and cook for a living. I have tried everything out there. I have found two peelers that work for me and they are both hand held. One has a ceramic blade which can be rotated into four different positions so you can set it to what works for your wrist. The ceramic blade seems to cut through the potato or other vegetable cleaner so there aren't as many jerking movements. This works well for potatoes, apples, turnips.

The other is like a normal peeler but has a very fat handle which is ergonomically shaped (tapered in at top and bottom) so it fits nicely into your hand. I find this one best for carrots or other straight objects.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom