"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #91
Certified Pretend Chef

Every year when we go to Aruba, I am required to make a big batch of American Chop Suey. It's one of the simplest recipes but everyone looks forward to it so much I can't say no. Twenty years ago, my daughter begged me to come up with an ACS recipe that tasted like the ACS she used to get in the school cafeteria! I did and she loves it.

I'm not sure what makes this dish so popular. Maybe it's the school cafeteria connection.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

Goulash day was always popular in my school. Probably more for the fresh rolls they baked than anything. Everyone loved the school's rolls.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Goulash was also very popular at my elementary school, along with Eye-talian spaghetti (that was neither Italian, nor did it contain spaghetti, I think it had rotini). The cooks also made outstanding rolls.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #94
Sous Chef

Wow.....you guys must have had a different school system than we had here in Canada. School cafeterias here sucked at best. Thankfully I was close enough to walk home for lunch.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #95
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
According to Wikipedia there's Hungarian Goulash and there's American Goulash.

"American goulash, similar to a Hotdish, is a dish baked as a casserole in an oven, and has many variants. It is usually referred to in the Midwestern United States as simply "goulash". As a descendant, of sorts, of Hungarian goulash, the only real connection seems to be the name, and the usual inclusion of beef and paprika.[1]"

The American Goulash sound very much like the original recipe Hoot posted that started this whole discussion. I never saw goulash with beans and pasta. I guess I've only seen Hungarian Goulash.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #96
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Wow.....you guys must have had a different school system than we had here in Canada. School cafeterias here sucked at best. Thankfully I was close enough to walk home for lunch.

A woman across the street from us worked at the high school cafeteria for years, and her husband worked with my husband. She brought leftovers home every day and that was not only their dinner for the night, but her husband also took it for lunch the next day. They guys all kidded him that they always knew what was on the school menu the day before. Sometimes I wonder if she made extra at school every day so she would have enough to take home for dinner for her family.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #97
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I used the recipe CG provided Hungarian Goulash I Recipe - Allrecipes.com...
Wow, you're quick! I've had that recipe a while and haven't gotten to it yet. Any suggestions?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #98
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
For the same reasons as others have stated, I use boneless chuck roasts for just about all my braised and stewed dishes...
When we first moved here I couldn't find my favorite cut of pot roast chuck - what I knew as English cut. Not one store near me sold that. When I finally found a real cut-it-for-you butcher a couple towns over I asked him about English cut. He said it was called "shoulder roast". All I know is it's a leaner cut that your regular chuck roast. Right now our small neighborhood grocery store has them "on sale" for $2.99. Since I think their beef is the next best thing to the (more expensive) butcher beef I'll have to see if I can cram one or two into the freezer before the sale is over.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #99
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Growing up my mother made American goulash with not much more than a quart of home canned tomatoes, a pound of ground beef and a pound of overcooked elbow macaroni....
They served that in our daughter's school cafeteria. They called it "Johnny Marzetti". The first time she came home from school and told me she loved Johnny Marzetti I thought it was a new boy in her class.

My Mom used to make a variation of these dishes that she called "Hobo Stew" even though it didn't look like anything I've found online. She would also call it "Slumgullion" which is closer to what I've found. Only her ingredients were ground beef, disks of carrot, tomato soup, and the infamous "egg noodles". Tried to make it once after we were married but Himself gave it a thumbs-down. I'll have to try again, this time substituting diced tomatoes for the tomato soup.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
You two kids quit fighting! Do you want me to pull this car over? ;) ;)
Make them walk home.

Tags
casserole