"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My mother made Hungarian Goulash, and I think the paprika is the key ingredient. She used stewing beef, tomatoes, and she put in big chunks of potato. I don't know if that was actually in the recipe or if she used it to stretch the meal. I think I will have to make this sometime and see how Mr Potato Head likes it. LOL
That sounds about right. And lots of paprika, cooked right into everything from the start. I'm sure I have the recipe I used around somewhere. It was more like a stew without sauce/liquid and a heavy paprika flavor.

Hoot, that might be a stretch, but sounds good to me

Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My goulash is similar to Pac's and served out of the pan, not baked in the oven. Johnny Marzetti on the other hand had cheese stirred into it and then was baked.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

To me goulash is an Austrian/Hungarian dish. It's a stew made with beef and paprikas. It's often served with spaetzle.

The dishes Hoot and pacanis described have many variations and is called by a number of names. Goulash, American chop suey and slumgullion are three that come to mind right away.

Hoot, if that cookbook was published in Minnesota, it would be titled Hot Dishes. Minnesotans don't acknowledge the word casserole.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

It was published in 1968 by a company called Favorite Recipes Press, Inc. in Louisville, Kentucky. It is a hard cover book and all of the recipes were apparently submitted by folks all over the country.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

To me the word casserole always included a "cream of something" soup. Usually mushroom. I also thought the word 'goulash' was a Hungarian word. So I would think paprika would automatically be in the list of ingredients. The list as is makes it sound very dry.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
To me the word casserole always included a "cream of something" soup. Usually mushroom. I also thought the word 'goulash' was a Hungarian word. So I would think paprika would automatically be in the list of ingredients. The list as is makes it sound very dry.
It was quite dry, Addie. Filling, but dry.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Back in the day when my mother cooked, she never used any "cream of" soup. Her recipes used milk and flour to make a cream sauce and then added seasoning based on what the casserole was. I think the idea of using the soup was to make the recipe quicker to prepare.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Back in the day when my mother cooked, she never used any "cream of" soup. Her recipes used milk and flour to make a cream sauce and then added seasoning based on what the casserole was. I think the idea of using the soup was to make the recipe quicker to prepare.
Right. "Cream of..." soups are a short cut. It's actually possible to make cream of mushroom soup without opening a can.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Right. "Cream of..." soups are a short cut. It's actually possible to make cream of mushroom soup without opening a can.
Absolutely, I do it all the time.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
To me goulash is an Austrian/Hungarian dish. It's a stew made with beef and paprikas. It's often served with spaetzle.
That's how it is where Mrs Dawg is from. They mix cubed beef and pork and serve it with spaetzle and steamed red cabbage. Where my family is from it is only beef and served with bread dumplings.

Tags
casserole