Casserole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All this talk about goulash has prompted me to add it to my list of dishes to cook this cold weather season. I may even make some spaetzle to go with it.

This goulash recipe is almost identical to my Oma's. My grandparents were born in the same region as the author's family.
Authentic Hungarian Goulash

This looks like what my mother used to make with the potato chunks in it. I don't remember if we ate it with noodles or not.

After doing a search, I found out that regular paprika is mostly for color but Hungarian Paprika is what has the deep flavor. So it looks like I'll be buying some Hungarian Paprika.

I just looked all through my recipes and can't find the recipe I used, but it was done in the slow cooker. I found a series of pics, including one with some kind of concoction in a blender that I added to the slow cooker before putting the lid on for cooking. Shoot.

What is a good choice for paprika, all I have ever used is the 99 cent stuff old ladies sprinkle on top of salads! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

In the spice aisle, look towards the bottom for the "orphan" spices. There are tins there of odds and ends, imported tins of Hungarian paprika can be found there and they really are not too expensive.:)

In the spice aisle, look towards the bottom for the "orphan" spices. There are tins there of odds and ends, imported tins of Hungarian paprika can be found there and they really are not too expensive.:)

How do I know I'm not just buying the kind of paprika that old Hungarian ladies sprinkle on salads? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Any suggestions for a specific brand that I could find in a supermarket?

Our local grocery carries Pride of Szeged paprika. I ain't got a clue if it a good brand, but it's the only brand I have seen in these parts.

Thanks Hoot, I've seen that one, should I get sweet or hot?

I guess my real question is the hot ATOMIC HOT or just spicy?

How do I know I'm not just buying the kind of paprika that old Hungarian ladies sprinkle on salads? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Any suggestions for a specific brand that I could find in a supermarket?

Only buy it if it comes from Hungary:) At this time I am only able to find my tin of Spanish Smoked Paprika...without tearing my pantry apart.:LOL:

I think I saw on a "How it's made" episode where they said the only spice stick pepperoni is flavored with is paprika. I imagine that's the hot stuff.
When I made this I used Penzey's Hungarian paprika. I know it wasn't the hot. And the dish wasn't spicy, just tasted of paprika in a good way.

Back
Top Bottom