Casserole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My recipe calls for both sweet and hot paprika. There's 1.5 Tb of sweet and a tsp. of hot. This way you have enough of the sweet to get the classic pepper flavor and adjust the heat with how much hot paprika you add.

My recipe calls for both sweet and hot paprika. There's 1.5 Tb of sweet and a tsp. of hot. This way you have enough of the sweet to get the classic pepper flavor and adjust the heat with how much hot paprika you add.
Glad to read that. I substituted a bit of hot paprika for some of the sweet. I'm a big fan of hot paprika (it's that same brand as Hoot mentioned). I'll see how it turns out later today.

What is a good choice for paprika, all I have ever used is the 99 cent stuff old ladies sprinkle on top of salads! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Like Hoot, I have a tin of Szeged brand - the Hot style. My can of sweet says "Kalocsa" because I couldn't find the mild Szeged here, but if you shake it you'll find Penzeys. They've all tasted fine. Slowly but surely they're all becoming Penzeys spices no matter the label. ;)

Paprika is starting to control my life, I just finished reading a recipe for a chicken dish similar to the beef dish posted here.

No tomato with the chicken recipe otherwise it was about the same.

Tomorrow is grocery day, we'll see!

Paprika is starting to control my life, I just finished reading a recipe for a chicken dish similar to the beef dish posted here.

No tomato with the chicken recipe otherwise it was about the same.

Tomorrow is grocery day, we'll see!

The chicken version of goulash is called chicken paprikash but that has tomato in it.

My attempt at the recipe that Pac linked to was not so wonderful. The sauce was tasty. I used rump roast from my freezer, from "that cow". It tasted like boiled beef, even though everything had been nicely browned. I'm not blaming the recipe; I'm blaming the meat.

According to Wikipedia, "Goulash may be served with small egg noodles called csipetke". So, I looked up recipes for csipetke and made some. They were uninteresting. I don't think I made them too big, but maybe I did. It took an hour of boiling before they were done. They also kept getting bigger as I boiled them. :ermm: :LOL:

My attempt at the recipe that Pac linked to was not so wonderful. The sauce was tasty. I used rump roast from my freezer, from "that cow". It tasted like boiled beef, even though everything had been nicely browned. I'm not blaming the recipe; I'm blaming the meat.

According to Wikipedia, "Goulash may be served with small egg noodles called csipetke". So, I looked up recipes for csipetke and made some. They were uninteresting. I don't think I made them too big, but maybe I did. It took an hour of boiling before they were done. They also kept getting bigger as I boiled them. :ermm: :LOL:
I'm giving Pac's recipe a try also. It's cooking way right now. You should have seen the look Mrs Dawg gave me when I told her I was using a different recipe. :ohmy:

What kind of meat did the recipe call for? My notes told me I used chuck roast. It broke down nicely with the long slow cook time.

Csipetke appears to be similar to spaetzle but a much thicker dough. That's what I'd made if I didn't cop out and boil some egg noodles.

Bummer.
I always cut my own stew meat using a chuck roast. I'll keep in mind that the packaged stuff labeled thus might be tougher.

Bummer.
I always cut my own stew meat using a chuck roast. I'll keep in mind that the packaged stuff labeled thus might be tougher.
I don't buy "stew meat". How do you know what it really is?

My M-I-L, bought a whole cow and had it butchered. We got a third, Stirling's brother got a third and she kept a third. The meat from that cow has all been tough. I suspect it was an old dairy cow. :ermm:

The ground beef was fine and it works well in a Danish recipe that has it being sliced and pounded. We didn't get anything labelled "chuck" or even "shoulder". I would never want to use that butcher.

I don't buy "stew meat". How do you know what it really is?...

Huh? :huh:
I asked you what kind of meat you used and you said "beef stew meat".
I said I used chuck roast and you said chuck roast would have been better.
It sounded to me like you bought something called "stew meat", otherwise you would have known what cut it was.

I think we're having a miscommunication :)

What kind of meat did the recipe call for? My notes told me I used chuck roast. It broke down nicely with the long slow cook time.

Huh? :huh:
I asked you what kind of meat you used and you said "beef stew meat".
I said I used chuck roast and you said chuck roast would have been better.
It sounded to me like you bought something called "stew meat", otherwise you would have known what cut it was.

I think we're having a miscommunication :)
You asked what the recipe called for.

Spike's godfather was a meat cutter for Stop and Shop for many years right up until retirement. He told me that "stew beef" was anything that was trimmed off and tossed into the bucket to sell back. At the end of the day, someone who was unlucky enough to get the job, went through the buckets and retrieved any chunks of meat that would be suitable for stew meat. Beef, pork, etc., were in separate buckets. That package that was labeled just "hamburger" consists of pieces too small for the stew beef category. The ground pork went for the Italian and breakfast sausages. Ground chicken, turkey and yes, even lamb was recycled the same way. A lot of the beef bones were sold as soup bones. Living in an Italian community, it all sold.

Today, I still buy only a piece of chuck and cut it myself into bite size for stew. And I toss the bone if also after a quick roast on high in the oven. Stew beef consisted of possibly sirloin, chuck, prime or anything that didn't make it to the showcase. You have no way of knowing what "stew beef" consists of. Nor hamburger. :angel:

You asked what the recipe called for.

Well, yeah.
Didn't you say you made the recipe?
Should I have asked what kind of meat you used?
At any rate... too bad it did not turn out quite right.

Well, yeah.
Didn't you say you made the recipe?
Should I have asked what kind of meat you used?
At any rate... too bad it did not turn out quite right.
I used rump roast from a tough cow.

I just figured "beef stew meat" was beef cut into chunks, which is what I did with that rump roast.

Rump roast. Thanks.
That's a lot leaner cut, as I'm sure you know. I'll bet that had something to do with it, too.

Back
Top Bottom