Casserole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used the recipe CG provided Hungarian Goulash I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I used approx. a pound of round steak cut into chunks.

I also used the Sweet paprika, my little store did not stock the hot.

I prepared it on the stove top and then cooked it for 90 minutes covered in a 350 degree oven.

I think next time I will add some carrot chunks and small whole onions, sort of a stew.

Now I need to experiment with some of the other recipes and settle on a keeper!

Well, I put the crockpot on at noon, low temp for 6 hrs. I went out to pick up Mrs Dawg from work at around 2:30 and when we got home something didn't smell right. I checked the crockpot and it was boiling like crazy and a few pieces of meat had burned into the liner. I saved most of it but I am of the distinct opinion that our crockpot is pooched.

Canadian Tire has them on sale this week.

For the same reasons as others have stated, I use boneless chuck roasts for just about all my braised and stewed dishes. At any time, I have anywhere from three to six in my freezer as I buy them on sale.

I've watched the price for this cut of beef go up and stay up for a year or two. I used to be able to get them on sale for $1.99/Lb not that long ago but now it goes on sale for $2.59 - $2.99/Lb.

Growing up my mom used to make a different type of goulash.
Browned the burger w a little onion & added 1 can of chicken gumbo soup, a can of cream of chicken soup, creamed corn & cooked noodles. There were always a lot to feed & it went a long ways.

I heard that, Andy. The price of chuck roast is outrageous anymore. I never see it for 1.99 anymore.

According to Wikipedia there's Hungarian Goulash and there's American Goulash.

"American goulash, similar to a Hotdish, is a dish baked as a casserole in an oven, and has many variants. It is usually referred to in the Midwestern United States as simply "goulash". As a descendant, of sorts, of Hungarian goulash, the only real connection seems to be the name, and the usual inclusion of beef and paprika.[1]"

"American goulash, similar to a Hotdish, is a dish baked as a casserole in an oven, and has many variants. It is usually referred to in the Midwestern United States as simply "goulash". As a descendant, of sorts, of Hungarian goulash, the only real connection seems to be the name, and the usual inclusion of beef and paprika.[1]"

Growing up my mother made American goulash with not much more than a quart of home canned tomatoes, a pound of ground beef and a pound of overcooked elbow macaroni. It was the best thing going on a cold winter day when we would come in from playing outside. I have tried to recreate it and I just can't get it right, probably never will.

My memories always taste better than my cooking! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

You need the green peppers, Bea :yum:

Attachments

• goulash4.jpg
    goulash4.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 160
Every year when we go to Aruba, I am required to make a big batch of American Chop Suey. It's one of the simplest recipes but everyone looks forward to it so much I can't say no. Twenty years ago, my daughter begged me to come up with an ACS recipe that tasted like the ACS she used to get in the school cafeteria! I did and she loves it.

I'm not sure what makes this dish so popular. Maybe it's the school cafeteria connection.

Goulash day was always popular in my school. Probably more for the fresh rolls they baked than anything. Everyone loved the school's rolls.

Goulash was also very popular at my elementary school, along with Eye-talian spaghetti (that was neither Italian, nor did it contain spaghetti, I think it had rotini). The cooks also made outstanding rolls.

Wow.....you guys must have had a different school system than we had here in Canada. School cafeterias here sucked at best. Thankfully I was close enough to walk home for lunch.

The American Goulash sound very much like the original recipe Hoot posted that started this whole discussion. I never saw goulash with beans and pasta. I guess I've only seen Hungarian Goulash.

Wow.....you guys must have had a different school system than we had here in Canada. School cafeterias here sucked at best. Thankfully I was close enough to walk home for lunch.

A woman across the street from us worked at the high school cafeteria for years, and her husband worked with my husband. She brought leftovers home every day and that was not only their dinner for the night, but her husband also took it for lunch the next day. They guys all kidded him that they always knew what was on the school menu the day before. Sometimes I wonder if she made extra at school every day so she would have enough to take home for dinner for her family.

For the same reasons as others have stated, I use boneless chuck roasts for just about all my braised and stewed dishes...
When we first moved here I couldn't find my favorite cut of pot roast chuck - what I knew as English cut. Not one store near me sold that. When I finally found a real cut-it-for-you butcher a couple towns over I asked him about English cut. He said it was called "shoulder roast". All I know is it's a leaner cut that your regular chuck roast. Right now our small neighborhood grocery store has them "on sale" for $2.99. Since I think their beef is the next best thing to the (more expensive) butcher beef I'll have to see if I can cram one or two into the freezer before the sale is over.

Growing up my mother made American goulash with not much more than a quart of home canned tomatoes, a pound of ground beef and a pound of overcooked elbow macaroni....
They served that in our daughter's school cafeteria. They called it "Johnny Marzetti". The first time she came home from school and told me she loved Johnny Marzetti I thought it was a new boy in her class. :ermm: :LOL:

My Mom used to make a variation of these dishes that she called "Hobo Stew" even though it didn't look like anything I've found online. She would also call it "Slumgullion" which is closer to what I've found. Only her ingredients were ground beef, disks of carrot, tomato soup, and the infamous "egg noodles". Tried to make it once after we were married but Himself gave it a thumbs-down. I'll have to try again, this time substituting diced tomatoes for the tomato soup.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom