Casserole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Saturday, Mrs Hoot ventured down the local CHKD thrift store. She returned with three cookbooks she found that she thought I might like and may have some interesting recipes. One of the books its titled "Favorite Recipes of America: Casseroles".
After looking through it, she settled on a recipe for Goulash. I looked at the recipe and said, "That don't sound like Goulash to me." She countered that it is a Goulash casserole (even though the title simply said "Goulash.")
Here is the list of ingredients:
1 lb. hamburger
1 sm. can of kidney beans
1 8 oz. pkg. spaghetti, cooked
1 lge onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 can corn
Now, in my feeble mind, this sounds neither like Goulash or a casserole.
I would be interested in opinions.
Thanks!

Please note: As I understand copyright law, it is permissible to post an ingredient list as long as I don't quote the method. If this is incorrect, I apologize and will happily defer to the judgement of our wise and sage moderators.

I haven't had goulash in many years. My recollection is that it had ground beef, tomatoes, onions, maybe garlic,s&pand elbow macaroni. Not too much else.

That recipe does not sound like goulash to me as recipes go, but looking up the definition in the dictionary, goulash can also mean a mixture of different elements, a hodgepodge, and that recipe is definately a hodgepodge. As far as it being a casserole, I think anything that is mixed together and baked in the oven can be classified as a casserole.

Did she make the goulash? How was it?

goulash - Definition of goulash

After searching I found there and a gazillion variations on goulash.

Apparently I have never had goulash because I always thought it was a cream based dish since that is what my Mom called whatever it was she served us.

Anyway it kind of looks like perhaps someone put their own spin on the basic recipe. Is there any kind of liquid with this?

I can see it going into a casserole dish but I can also see it being served right out of the pan and onto the pasta.

So my answer is :huh: LOL

Nope ....no liquid was called for. Just the ingredients I listed. It called for a 2 hour cooking time at 350 degrees F.
We tried it....after in initial tasting before it went in the oven, I upped the seasonings to 1 tsp of each. We sprinkled a cup or so of shredded cheese on top and took it out after about 45 minutes as 2 hours seemed way too long for a dish where everything is pretty much already cooked.
It was ok, but I doubt we will do it again.

That looks like what I would call Mexican goulash, just because of the addition of a few ingredients.
But goulash in my American family, what some people refer to as American chop suey, was cooked pasta (we used shells, some use elbow), hamburger, onions, green peppers, with the tomato sauce added right in and cooked for a while (rather than spooning it over the top). I've also made Hungarian goulash and that's a totally different animal and VERY good.

That looks like what I would call Mexican goulash, just because of the addition of a few ingredients.
But goulash in my American family, what some people refer to as American chop suey, was cooked pasta (we used shells, some use elbow), hamburger, onions, green peppers, with the tomato sauce added right in and cooked for a while (rather than spooning it over the top). I've also made Hungarian goulash and that's a totally different animal and VERY good.

My mother made Hungarian Goulash, and I think the paprika is the key ingredient. She used stewing beef, tomatoes, and she put in big chunks of potato. I don't know if that was actually in the recipe or if she used it to stretch the meal. I think I will have to make this sometime and see how Mr Potato Head likes it. LOL

Now that's something I would like to try my hand at!

Mexican goulash, you say?.....might have a distant relevance to Oakland's Latino community.....maybe I did participate the the Pigskin Challenge after all! :LOL:

My mother made Hungarian Goulash, and I think the paprika is the key ingredient. She used stewing beef, tomatoes, and she put in big chunks of potato. I don't know if that was actually in the recipe or if she used it to stretch the meal. I think I will have to make this sometime and see how Mr Potato Head likes it. LOL

That sounds about right. And lots of paprika, cooked right into everything from the start. I'm sure I have the recipe I used around somewhere. It was more like a stew without sauce/liquid and a heavy paprika flavor.

Hoot, that might be a stretch, but sounds good to me :LOL:

My goulash is similar to Pac's and served out of the pan, not baked in the oven. Johnny Marzetti on the other hand had cheese stirred into it and then was baked.

To me goulash is an Austrian/Hungarian dish. It's a stew made with beef and paprikas. It's often served with spaetzle.

The dishes Hoot and pacanis described have many variations and is called by a number of names. Goulash, American chop suey and slumgullion are three that come to mind right away.

Hoot, if that cookbook was published in Minnesota, it would be titled Hot Dishes. Minnesotans don't acknowledge the word casserole.

It was published in 1968 by a company called Favorite Recipes Press, Inc. in Louisville, Kentucky. It is a hard cover book and all of the recipes were apparently submitted by folks all over the country.

To me the word casserole always included a "cream of something" soup. Usually mushroom. I also thought the word 'goulash' was a Hungarian word. So I would think paprika would automatically be in the list of ingredients. The list as is makes it sound very dry. :angel:

To me the word casserole always included a "cream of something" soup. Usually mushroom. I also thought the word 'goulash' was a Hungarian word. So I would think paprika would automatically be in the list of ingredients. The list as is makes it sound very dry. :angel:
It was quite dry, Addie. Filling, but dry.

Back in the day when my mother cooked, she never used any "cream of" soup. Her recipes used milk and flour to make a cream sauce and then added seasoning based on what the casserole was. I think the idea of using the soup was to make the recipe quicker to prepare.

Back in the day when my mother cooked, she never used any "cream of" soup. Her recipes used milk and flour to make a cream sauce and then added seasoning based on what the casserole was. I think the idea of using the soup was to make the recipe quicker to prepare.

Right. "Cream of..." soups are a short cut. It's actually possible to make cream of mushroom soup without opening a can.

To me goulash is an Austrian/Hungarian dish. It's a stew made with beef and paprikas. It's often served with spaetzle.

That's how it is where Mrs Dawg is from. They mix cubed beef and pork and serve it with spaetzle and steamed red cabbage. Where my family is from it is only beef and served with bread dumplings.

Back
Top Bottom