Cast iron "muffin pan?" questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wannabechef

Assistant Cook
I have a 6 compartment cast iron muffin style cups.It is heated up first then have a batter poured in or do you make muffin batter and start from room temp?

OK, to what temp? I have seen these used in China but did not know what batter to put inside. It appeared to be a thin batter that puffed up and was light. What have you put in them?

They are for making cornbread. You heat the iron in the oven. Be sure it is WELL greased.

I would heat them to the same temp the recipe uses to cook them. What is the recipe? Can you post it for us to see? Are you making cornbread? Be sure and grease each "cup" well before heating.

I will try corn muffins. Will try many types of miniature cakes and muffins because it has a nice design on the bottom.

wannabechef said:
I will try corn muffins. Will try many types of miniature cakes and muffins because it has a nice design on the bottom.

Since you say the pan has a nice design on the bottom, I'm guessing they are also shaped like ears of corn? If so, this is technically not a muffin pan, it is a cornstick pan. The reason I mention this is because the cornstick pan is only about 1/2 the depth of a muffin pan - so you will probably want to adjust (decrease) your baking time since they will cook quicker.

You should pre-heat your pan ... then grease, add your batter, and bake. If you don't - the top and bottom will not bake evenly.

If it is truly a muffin pan, it will make a variety of goodies, such as a great yorkshire pudding, or muffins of any type you desire. It is also great for making pop-overs, and savory quickbreads. Try making a pancake batter, and adding to the dry ingredients some finely diced onion, garlic, and sage. Pour into the greased, pre-heated muffin pan, and then bake until golden at 375 degrees. Serve with sausage gravy like you would a biscuit, or as a side to a roasted chicken dinner.

If they are shaped as corn, follow Michael's advice.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Mmmm, Goodweed, that sounds good. I just happen to have some gravy looking for something to be served on!

It is similar to that corn pan you mentioned. It is actually a flower design and it is only an inch deep so i will follow your direction as if it was a corn pan.

I own a small cast iron skillet that I always bake cornbread in. First, I just make sure that it's greased enough before pouring the batterf into it.

It comes out perfect!!

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom