"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

If the pot is clean and rust free, coat it with a very light coating of shortening (Crisco) on all surfaces inside and out and the lid. Place the pot and lid in a 350 F preheated oven. The pot should be upside down. Place a large piece of foil on the shelf below the pot to catch drips. Leave it in the oven for a hour then turn off the oven and leave the pot in there until it's cold.

To clean your ridged pan, boil water in it for ten minutes to soften the crud then use a wood or plastic utensil to scrape it clean.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If the pot is clean and rust free, coat it with a very light coating of shortening (Crisco) on all surfaces inside and out and the lid. Place the pot and lid in a 350 F preheated oven. The pot should be upside down. Place a large piece of foil on the shelf below the pot to catch drips. Leave it in the oven for a hour then turn off the oven and leave the pot in there until it's cold.

To clean your ridged pan, boil water in it for ten minutes to soften the crud then use a wood or plastic utensil to scrape it clean.
Thanks so much. I am not sure if I actually cured that pot properly when I got it I did coat it with shortening but don't remember baking it in the oven. Is it too late to do that now? It seems to be seasoned from using it often.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaylady View Post
Thanks so much. I am not sure if I actually cured that pot properly when I got it I did coat it with shortening but don't remember baking it in the oven. Is it too late to do that now? It seems to be seasoned from using it often.
If it's black and not rusting, it's seasoned. You can certainly season it now but it's probably not necessary.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If it's black and not rusting, it's seasoned. You can certainly season it now but it's probably not necessary.
Thanks, I don't think I need to on that one but I may have some others I can season. Can you use anything other than Crisco, I don't have any of that handy?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Thanks, I don't think I need to on that one but I may have some others I can season. Can you use anything other than Crisco, I don't have any of that handy?
You can use vegetable oil, bacon fat, lard.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:29 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Can anyone explain how you season a new Cast Iron pot. Also, how do you clean a Cast Iron skillet. I have one that has ridges for grilling and when I cook with it I use a little olive oil so the meat does not stick. However, there is always some stuff stuck on there that is hard to get off after cooking with it. In that case can you wash off those bits or do you never use water on it and just scrape it off? I am a little confused as to how it works best with these pots.
When I clean a cast iron pan I heat slowly it with a layer of salt. Then I dry scrub it with the bamboo brush that came with our wok. Then I brush off all the salt and sometimes wipe with a dry rag or paper towel.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Pouring the cornbread batter in a circle into the pan keeps the cornbread from sticking so much. Pouring it all in one spot seems to 'push' the seasoning/oil away no matter what pan or dish is used. I learned that only about a year ago and I've been making cornbread for 50 years!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

i just ordered a cast iron skillet to make dutch baby pancake in. it is covered in porcelain so no seasoning is necessary
Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Babetoo: Is it possible that the porcelain is on the outside of the pan and that the inside might need seasoning? I realize that there are some like Le Crueset that have porcelain on both sides...

As For the ridges... I have 3 such pans and am looking to get 1 or 2 more. I have made bacon on my 2 burner grill now for probably 2-3 years now. I can let it sit in Dawn Dish liquid and it wont hurt it. On occasion I will cook a lamb chop or rack on it or maybe a steak. On those occasions I might do the salt trick, I might take a butter knife to it and scrape the grooves out. Sometimes I will take a little Dawn to it because my wife dosent like it when her bacon taste like...something else. Short of that I dont wash it unless it sits for a few weeks and I think it might be rancid. I let it get warm while pre heating the oven for a given weeks bacon, pour off the excess , layer on another 10 or pieces of bacon and season it some more.
On occasion... such as when I have cooked something else on it and I havent washed it, I will use the 10" or 8" grill pan... so I can get them seasoned...
If I happen to think of it, on occasion I will cook bacon on the Pizza pan to get it seasoned... nothing sticks to it either.
Maybe 1 or twice a year I will take my other pans... I think I have 12, slather them with bacon fat or vege oil and fire them for a few hours.
Several years ago when I lived full time on the farm, I would oil my pans up, most of them, one of them I would season a steak up and put it in a pan, on a cold night and stick them straight into the wood stove. I would have a raging orange hot roaring fire going and let that rip. That great thing about cast iron is that nothing will hurt it as long as it covered with oil.
Making Bacon in the Wok was a little weird, but nothing sticks to it...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Just don't season a cast iron pan the way my FIL did - with motor oil