"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cast Iron Pizza

I see Mario Batali uses his "Enameled" Cast Iron Pans to cook pizza on. I would like to try this,,but do I really need it to be Enameled? Can`t I just use a Lodge 10 1/2" Round Griddle Pan?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
Master Chef

If the pan is seasoned you should be fine.

I would use it just like a pizza stone.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #3
Head Chef

I've had great success with this recipe: The Perfect Cast Iron Pizza. I don't do the stove-top portion of the cooking over high heat though. I heat the burner using high heat and then turn it down to med-high right after placing the pan onto it, otherwise it got too brown too quickly on the bottom.

Here's a picture of Le Creuset pan I use, it's only enameled on the outside:

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattergun2570 View Post
I see Mario Batali uses his "Enameled" Cast Iron Pans to cook pizza on. I would like to try this,,but do I really need it to be Enameled? Can`t I just use a Lodge 10 1/2" Round Griddle Pan?
Enamel is extremely difficult to clean. I bought a set, piece by piece from my local grocery store. The were very pretty, and they were horrible to use. Things burnt on easily, getting them clean was next to impossible.

Maybe they are different now, but cast iron has been proven to work, and is useful for many other things. Why take a chance?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
Head Chef

Well the enameled piece of cookware we have that is Batali branded is just wonderful. We've never had anything burn. Craig uses that pan and ONLY that pan to make gumbo as he's never had a problem with the roux getting burned and he takes it to a dark red-brown.

Is the pizza being cooked IN the pan or ON the pan? You wrote ON, which technically would mean the pan is flipped over and the pizza is being cooked on the outside bottom. IN, of course, would mean actually inside the pan. Reason I ask is I just saw an Iron Chef show where they were cooking something on the bottom of an upside down pan over a burner.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Enamel is extremely difficult to clean. I bought a set, piece by piece from my local grocery store. The were very pretty, and they were horrible to use. Things burnt on easily, getting them clean was next to impossible.

Maybe they are different now, but cast iron has been proven to work, and is useful for many other things. Why take a chance?
I haven't found enamelled cast iron to be difficult to clean and I've been using it since the early '70s. Just remember no abrasives and preferably no metal utensils. Maybe the brand makes a difference?

But, I would probably use regular cast iron for pizza.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Do you mean the the griddle pan that has a ribbed surface. That could be a problem.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Do you mean the the griddle pan that has a ribbed surface. That could be a problem.
My best pizza ever was made in a Wagner, 11 inch cast iron pan. I simply greased up the pan with butter, put the raw pizza dough in, topped it with sauce and toppings (which were many), let it rise for about 20 minutes, and threw into a Webber Kettle with a solid bed of coals, opened all vents completely, and covered. I cooked the pizza for about twenty minutes.

You won't get that smokey taste from an oven, but will still get a great pizza. Cook in a hot oven, 450 or above,

Yes Virginia, pizza is superb in cast iron.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattergun2570 View Post
Can`t I just use a Lodge 10 1/2" Round Griddle Pan?
Yes you can. I used to do pizzas on this Lodge 14" griddle, outdoors and in the kitchen oven.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I am thinking of trying the cast iron pizza.

I'm thinking of putting the dough in an oiled cast iron frying pan, topping it and setting it in my grill with all burners on high (reaches 650 degrees ambient temp).

The flat cast iron griddle looked like it would be perfect for pizza.

Tags
pizza