Center Cut Ham Slice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I have a round center cut ham slice about an 3/4ths inch thick, maybe a bit less thick.
I always just heat it on the grill of fry pan. Very simple.
Is there a way to kick this up a little.

Maybe a simple sauce or glaze? Its the same all the time and I feel like changing it up. Any suggestions appreciated.

I like to top sliced ham with pineapple slices. :yum: You could make a simple glaze by combining some reserved pineapple juice, brown sugar, maybe a little honey, and reduce on the stove. Pour your glaze on the ham, top with pineapple slices, and broil for a minute or two. Yum.

I have a round center cut ham slice about an 3/4ths inch thick, maybe a bit less thick.
I always just heat it on the grill of fry pan. Very simple.
Is there a way to kick this up a little.

Maybe a simple sauce or glaze? Its the same all the time and I feel like changing it up. Any suggestions appreciated.

Dark rum is your friend!;) Especially when combined with maple sugar and a pinch of salt! Reduced to a glaze.

Last edited:
I have no pineapple nor do I have any dark rum. I have clear rum.
I have brown sugar, honey and the staples.
No preserves either.

I have no pineapple nor do I have any dark rum. I have clear rum.
I have brown sugar, honey and the staples.
No preserves either.

Oh, so you want to play THAT way!;) Honey, sage, salt and apple cider.

Brown sugar, orange juice concentrate, and cinnamon. A sprinkle of nutmeg.

Another very good topping is honey mustard, especially if you can get local honey, and a good, spicey mustard. Simple syrup and cloves is good with ham. Maple syrup, all by itself, or mixed with a touch of liquid smoke is wonderful on ham. Apple sauce with cinnamon, and a touch of nutmeg are great when cooked on ham as well.

Fo something different, make two slices of your favorite french toast recipe. Cook one side of slice. Flip one slice and put the ham on top, along with a good sharp cheese, like a creamy, sharp Pinconning. Top with the cooked side of the 2nd slice, and finish as you would a grilled cheese sandwich. Serve with maple syrup.

I used to make potato-fish sandwiches all the time, with fresh caught perch. This would be great with ham replacing the fish. Simple fry thin slices of potato in a little bacon fat, along with the ham (put the ham in a separate pan), and make a sandwich with both in you favorite bread. A little premium mustard, and maybe a touch of honey, or ketchup will make you a very tasty sandwich.

Just a few ideas for you.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Grill the ham slices and use whatever glaze your heart desires.

Sorry to not add much but your taste is what it is and only you can define what you're looking for.

If you want the burnt bit taste then cook the ham to that point and then add the flavorings you desire.

"kick this up a little" is a subjective thing and only you can define what aspects of taste are needed to kick it up a little.

I'm not a fan of sweetened ham. If you want to try a different approach, here is what I tend to do: I sear both sides of the slice, then toss fresh green beans into the frypan along with enough water to steam them. The beans are so wonderfully good this way you will eat a lot! Basically, I figure about 3/4# fresh beans for each of us. It's not unusual for us to each eat all our beans and still eat enough ham to make us happy while leaving more than half the ham behind.

I'm a bit late on this one, but if you do this regularly, you need to keep some pineapple around. Ham and pineapple seem to be made for each other. If you grill it, grill pineapple slices right along side. Stick a dozen whole cloves in the ham from both sides a half hour before cooking (then remove before eating - they don't chew very well), or lightly dust with ground cloves (they pack a lot of flavor, so go easy). Ham really doesn't usually require a lot of dressing up.

Back
Top Bottom