"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
Master Chef
Halve or butterfly the chickens, rub with sage, S&P. Then take several onions (don't know what size they are), cut in wedges or slices, and put them in a strong aluminum foil packet with a couple of cloves of garlic, S&P, and a chunk of frozen butter/margarine, a clump of the bacon fat, or a generous tossing with olive oil. Grill them all over charcoal. Over-do the onions, because they are great to have on hand to toss with rice or pasta. Meanwhile make a salad and starch of your choice.

The ham, ham and more ham can be put out with bread, condiments, and a bag of chips for an everyone make your own sandwich lunch. You can also finely chop and add mayo or MW, onion (onions yet again), seasonings, pickles, etc, for a ham salad sandwich spread. I'm not a big breakfast eater, but often my guests are, and I've been known to invite them to cook! put the frozen sausage and ham in the back of the freezer to make sure the ham that needs to go, goes first. As others have mentioned, ham can replace almost any other meat in almost any casserole.

Make a big pot of pinto beans using the ham and onions liberally. Once the beans are tender, also dump in a can of the tomatoes. The fire-roasted would be especially good with the beans and ham.

I agree, use the ten bucks on a few well-priced fresh ingredients, vegetables or dairy. I don't think I'd bother with tomatoes this time of year (don't see where you're from), just whatever looks good and is in the ballpark for price.

Pasta tossed with the green beans and sauteed onions (or better yet, the onions left over from cooking over charcoal) .... yum.

The Italian sausages, onions, canned tomatoes and pasta are a no-brainer.

You should have no problems at all; I seriously think I've done more with less (in other words, I wouldn't bother to go to the store at all, and pocket the $10 for emergencies).

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote