Chart re: dry vs. wet weights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
A friend of mine had a really cool measuring cup (it was 1 litre). It had the measures for dry vs. wet ingredients (so 200 grams of flour vs. 200 grams of water, etc.). Does anyone have one of those or a chart?

Lots of charts around. Here's one:
FareShare Recipe Exchange:* Volume to Weight Conversion

Some entries will be kind of reliable. Others won't. Something like dried beans is probably real close. Anything diced will be accurate only if you happen to dice them just like the author did. I expect liquids are accurate. But flour can be off, depending on humidity, as well as whether it's loose, packed, sifted, dipped, etc.
But I'd consider it pretty close for everything but baking where weight is always preferred and where hydration ratios refer strictly to weight.

Okay--I got one of those measuring cups. It is actually a liter. It is made in Italy by Guzzini. I got it a yard sale yesterday. So, it has 1 pint/1 liter/1000 g/1000 cc. What is interesting is that it has flour/sugar/liquid marks. For flour, the mark for 300 g is close to the mark for 500 g sugar. Sorry, I can't find it in English. Basically, the text explains that you can measure flour, sugar, rice, butter, liquid using it. This is a smaller version of the one I got.

GEFU Verre mesureur, 500 ml (H.Nr. 14450) de cookplanet.fr

We have a tin plated 500 ml conical one that cost us 90 cents back when Hector was a pup.
Mine was 50 cents and came with a lid. I thought it was a good deal :). Do you use yours to measure Hector's food? Hmmm...didn't think of it, but now that you've mentioned it, maybe I could use it to measure the Girls' food...

Last edited:
It would have to be marjed specific to the ingredient as they all weigh something different by volume.

A pint of water weighs a pound. A pint of olive oil weighs less.

IMO its better to consult a chart if you are forced to make such a conversion.

It is a really cool measuring cup. I agree, weighing ingredients works, but this measuring cup is really cool. I have a scale--but I always wanted one of these measuring cups since I saw the one my friend from Germany has--and now, I have one.

Back
Top Bottom