Cheap, Fast, and Good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kinds of meals do you make when in a bit of a hurry but light in the wallet? Some of the things I've done:

Cold spaghetti sauce on bread.
Canned beef stew on rice.

I can totally identify with this topic. Back in my "salad" days I was a fresh college grad and then like now the economy was always going through gyrations, and the gyrations left me periodically unemployed. I was living in my first apartment and I didn't want to ask my parents for financial help.

Often I had to improvise, and my best improvisation was that I cooked a Swanson's chicken pie in my oven (microwave ovens had just been introduced and I didn't have one yet). One chicken pot pie wasn't enough to satisfy me but two were too expensive, so what I did was to toast a slice of bread in a toaster oven (we had them then) and put the toast in a plate then turn the chicken pot pie upside down on top of the toast. The toast stretched it out and gave me enough food to satisfy me.

I make a kinda quiche with leftover veg and meats chopped up. just whisk some eggs with milk. Put veg and/or meat in a baking dish. Pour over the egg, top with grated cheese if you have and bake till set.
Sometimes we by crisps and a fresh loaf of bread and make crisp sandwiches. Salt and vinegar Lay's is the best.
Mix some tuna and mayo into leftover cooked pasta. Stirfry veggies with 2 min noodles, leftover gravy or relish served hot with bread or rolls.
Creamed corn on toast (with a bit of mayo, optional)

One of my favorite cheap / fast meals. Put a little olive oil in a small fry pan, add a can of diced tomato's and chopped garlic to taste. Once it gets bubbly add two eggs and let them cook until eggs are however you like them, hard or soft. Dump into a bowl and top with parmesan cheese and maybe some basil. A piece of crusty bread for dunking. Heaven.

I haven't tried this but I bet you can change the flavor profile by adding some tex mex seasoning and top with queso fresco.

Something I call "Slop". Idahoan potato flakes, prepped and nuked (microwaved), any veggies, maybe some bacon and cheese (Velveeta works great), stir in, nuke again. It's basically a microwave mashed potato casserole.

Last edited:
I like to have some toasted bread with some dipping oil, flavoured with chilli or garlic

These aren't in any specific order. I'm just putting numbers in front of them as an identifier.:chef:
1. Perfectly poached egg on a toasted English Muffin with American Cheese underneath.

2. Like Snickedoodle said, grilled PBJ.

3. Chief Longwind's Blueberry pancakes, with breakfast suasage

4. french toast sandwich, with Triple slices of American Cheese

5. Scrambled eggs, corned beef hash

6. Penne pasta with tomato- meat sauce and cheese

7. Taco/Enchilada pie with

8. Sloppy Joes, DW's recipe (1 lb. ground beef, 1 can tomato soup)

9. Sloppy Joes, Chief's recipe (from scratch recipe)

10. Omlet with sweated onion, cheese, and mushrooms

11. Left-over fried chicken, with a side of either VanCamp's pork and beans, or home made, left over baked beans. Serve hot or cold, depending on time constraints, mood, and whether it's hot or cold outside.

12. Hot dogs, made any way you like, or even cold.

13. Any kind of sandwich.

14. Scrambled eggs with Chorizo

15. Scrambled eggs with pepperoni (yum)

16. Kielbasa with Kraut

17. Meatball sandwich

18 Spaghetti and meat sauce, or meatballs in sauce (one of my favorite meals, right up there with the other 999 favorites:ROFLMAO:)

19. A great bowl of red, and hot chili

20. a great bowl of Chief's special, White Chili

Quick and cheap, I could go on forever. I haven't even touched soups yet, or re-purposing roasts, bones, left-over pulled pork, left-over ribs of any kind, etc.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Nachos are the fastest thing ever, and you can make them as elaborate or plain as you want! Chips with peppers, cheese, refried beans, salsa, onions, etc. We eat it a lot when we want a quick meal.

Here is my quick, cheap and good...

Everybody wants a good, cheap and fast job. I can give you any two out of the three. If you want it good and cheap it won't be fast. If you want it good and fast it won't be cheap. If you want it cheap and fast it won't be good...

Join Costco. Get a hot broiled chicken, some tortillas, lettuce, tomato, onions and taco sauce. Drive home. Chop the lettuce, onions and tomatoes. Heat tortillas individually over an open gas burner, or just wrap the whole damned thing in aluminum foil and heat it in your oven. Rip the meat off the chicken and put in warmed tortilla, sauce it, sprinkle with lettuce/onion/tomato mixture, eat.

Option: mix 50/50 mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce to replace taco sauce

Option: add avocado slices and/or cilantro

Extra credit: google "Margarita" and make them to go with

Extra extra credit: make more Margaritas, drink them, then come post on the forum and wish you could edit your posts the next day. :D

Back
Top Bottom