Cheap vanilla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snoop Puss

Head Chef
A food blogger sent me in the direction of the following on-line shop that sells very cheap vanilla. Five Bourbon vanilla pods from the island of Mayotte for seven euros, ten pods for 12 euros, 20 pods for 20 euros, postage included. They ship around the world. The site is only in French, unfortunately, but apparently they will take e-mail inquiries in English.

http://www.vanilledemayotte.fr/menu-boutique.html

They've also got a special offer on at the moment as they've only recently launched the site.

Wow Snoop Puss, I'm not used to thinking about euro exchange rates but if this site is right and I understand it, a questionable premise, a euro is worth about $1.25 US. That makes 5 vanilla beans for about 8.75 or 1.75 each. I use extract because five or six bucks a bean is too rich for my blood but for that price I'd definitely go for it.
I never heard of Mayotte but saw some interesting information here although some may question the reliability of the source.
Can you, or one of our other French speaking members, give us any more information from their site.
I emailed them and will post any result.

Last edited:
Rule of Thumb... Anything that sounds too good to be true, usually is! :rolleyes:

The price of vanilla has dropped drastically recently because of better weather conditions in the prime growing areas, and who-know-what else... a year ago I bought a 4 ounce bottle of Neilsen Massey at W-S for $29. Today they are selling an 8 ounce bottle for $19. so not sure whether your Mayotte beans are a big bargain, unless you know for sure they are going to yield great results.

Just my 2 cents... :ermm:

According to the info. on the website, you'd be ordering these vanilla beans directly from a small island near Madagascar, which has apparently been something of a "political football" (claimed by 2 different countries) recently.

I imagine that part of the low cost is in buying "directly from the source." Just as a general principle, if you wanted to buy these, I'd use something like an international money order, not a credit card.

TexanFrench said:
According to the info. on the website, you'd be ordering these vanilla beans directly from a small island near Madagascar, which has apparently been something of a "political football" (claimed by 2 different countries) recently.

I imagine that part of the low cost is in buying "directly from the source." Just as a general principle, if you wanted to buy these, I'd use something like an international money order, not a credit card.
I'm not arguing, only asking. Wouldn't the use of PayPal protect the credit card information?

Hi Skilletlicker. Here's a link to the blog where I found the info. She's highly regarded in the food blogging world and has won an award. She's managed to step over from blogging into the mainstream media and has features and recipes published in French editions of magazines such as Vogue.

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/

She does give plugs to things she's enjoyed or used, but her status is now such that she has more to lose than gain by promoting something that's rubbish. She also provides a link to her original source of info, who admits she was sent some free for adding a link to the company on her blog. But at least she admits it so it's not too cynical.

As far as I'm aware, PayPal is a secure way to pay. I use it for eBay deals and have never had a problem.

Edited to add: I've just had a read of the comments on the original blog. One of the commenters says that she had bought pods from this company last spring. According to her, they're fleshy and highly perfumed. Plus, she says they're organic even though they don't have the official seal.

Last edited:
Snoop Puss said:
A food blogger sent me in the direction of the following on-line shop that sells very cheap vanilla. Five Bourbon vanilla pods from the island of Mayotte for seven euros, ten pods for 12 euros, 20 pods for 20 euros, postage included. They ship around the world. The site is only in French, unfortunately, but apparently they will take e-mail inquiries in English.

http://www.vanilledemayotte.fr/menu-boutique.html

They've also got a special offer on at the moment as they've only recently launched the site.

So you're talking about $10 for a minimum purchase of 5 pods. Mayotte is close to Madagascar, which I understand produces some fine vanilla.

For $10, I'd just go ahead and buy some. What the heck.
You could easily spend that $10 on a Mcdonalds Happy Meal or two :ohmy: :ohmy: :sick:

Hi,

I'm Malik from www.VanilleDeMayotte.com. I got the link to this thread by an interested reader.

I want to reassure pepoles here that we are a "real" compagny. Mayotte Island is a French oversee and is ruled by french laws. So we must register our sales and buys and pay taxes (a lot) and pay our supliers and employed :)

Our payment is garanteed by Paypal, so you can pay with paypal transfert or use paypal as a credit card terminal. We never have, and never want to have, credit card data wich would be a sucide for us from a security point of view.

About Scally cooking blog, I want to say that our agreement was "some few pods in exange of an ad link". The article she kindly wrote was not part of the plan :)

So to sumarise our principal defect is to be French and of speaking very badly English.

Have a nice day.

Malik.

As promised, here is the email exchange:
Hello,

Thank you for your interest for our vanilla, and thank you for giving me
this link. I think I will post a comment to reassure the ones how doubt
that we are a "real" company.

We offer our vanilla in tree quantities :

5 pods for 7 euros.
10 pods for 12 euros.
20 pods for 20 euros.

This prices are "all inclusive" and include shipment for the whole
world. There is no surpise. You can even benefit of a 10% reduction by
simply register your email to receive your reduction code.

You may try to translate your web site with a tool like :

http://translate.google.com/

The process is very simple and the payment is garanteed by Paypal. But
if the translation isn't clear enought just send me your address and
needed quantity and I will process the order for you. But don't send us
any credit card data by email !

I hope my english is good enought. Let me know if I can help you more.

Best regards,

Malik Recoing
www.VanilleDeMayotte.fr

> Dear Sir,
> I heard of your site through a thread
> <http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/cheap-vanilla-28352.html?posted=1#post345859>
> in discusscooking.com. Unfortunately I don't speak French. Can you
> supply any details in English on puchase and shipping to the US.
>
> Thank you for your cooperation.
>

skilletlicker said:
I use extract because five or six bucks a bean is too rich for my blood but for that price I'd definitely go for it.
I

Skilletlicker, I just had a thought. Why not buy some of the really, really good beans and make your own vanilla extract? I make my own and it's awesome. The only drawback I can think of is it takes a couple of years for the extract to "steep," but it's well worth it. Home brewed vanilla can be made in a very large quantity, which would result in being quite cost effective.

Katie E said:
Skilletlicker, I just had a thought. Why not buy some of the really, really good beans and make your own vanilla extract? I make my own and it's awesome. The only drawback I can think of is it takes a couple of years for the extract to "steep," but it's well worth it. Home brewed vanilla can be made in a very large quantity, which would result in being quite cost effective.
Katie E, Please elaborate.
What are really, really good beans?
Where do you buy them?
How much do they cost?
What do they steep in?
How do you build the still?
How do you evade the G-men?
:ohmy:

Actually, skilletlicker, as far as "good" vanilla beans are concerned, I was referring to your comment on the pricey ones. I have been getting my vanilla beans at World Market in my area. The price is $1.99 for 2 very long, fat beans.

I steep my beans in the cheapest vodka I can get. Usually 2 cups per 2 beans. Open the beans and scrape the seeds into the vodka. Include the vanilla pods, too. I put this mixture in a glass jar (currently I'm using a clean pickle jar). Store in a cool, dark place for at least 2 years. Shake once in a while.

After about 2 years, I have a nice (very dark) liquid. Smells grand! I prefer to let it sit another year for the fullest flavor.

When I use the vanilla, I replace the quantity with more vodka and another vanilla bean if I think it needs to be added. What can it hurt?

I've given it as gifts and my friends love it. So do I. It's strong and wonderful.

The only difference I can discern is that this vanilla doesn't have any hint of sweetness to it like commercial vanilla. If that's a problem, I suggest you add a touch of corn syrup. It doesn't bother me, I just go for the rich vanilla flavor.

No need for a still. Never had a problem with revenooers! :LOL:

Katie E, your method is indeed a simple and effective method to make an infusion. It will be specialy effective in coktail :) But please : Don't use vodka ! What a sacrillege ! Use rhum ! Like a French Caribeean amber rhum (a totaly randomly picked example).

From a "vaniline-to-cost-ratio" point of view however, I'm not sure this method is cost effective, because when you buy beans alone you pay the price of the selected ones. Vanilla extract are made with the split, cuts, to shorts, twisted that are not pretty enough to be sell as beans. But if the vanilla is good the hugly beans are as good as the pretty. So if you find "realy, realy good" extract - wich mean hot extracted with a still - it may be worth the price.

What you pay more for the extraction, you gain it from the cheaper beans that are used. The problem is to find realy, realy good extract that are made with a food still and not cut or even readjusted with syntetic vanillin !

And no : I don't sell extract (not yet). I only sell beans.

Malik

Last edited:
Merci beaucoup, Malik - j'entends trés bien votre explication.
(Thank you, Malik - I understand your explanation).

Well I've saved Malik's website to order some in the near future - I'll get back to you!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom