Cheaper meat now then much higher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
due to the damaged corn crops pig and cattle farmers are slaughtering at a rapid driving down prices. the price of pork in my area has dropped, ive seen it for .99/lb for 2 weeks in a row now. i have not noticed the price of beef coming down much. when this inventory dry's up prices will climb to a staggering level, you guys think beef is high now, just wait.

i am out the door right now to pick up some .99 shoulder and 1.49 butt.

We have bone in pork loins for 99 cents per pound, cut to order, this week.

I am making a hole in the freezer for one. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

All our meat prices are going up :( We had a petrol increase of 94 cents per litre yesterday and 25 cents last month. All this because of the darn transport strikes.
If they keep this up the only meat we'll be eating is out of cans or roadkill! Luckily I did my monthly shop before the most recent increase.

Yeah. I checked my local stores over the past two days and there are more pork bargains than I have freezer space. I told my son in Phoenix, and he said that he'd stock up, so when I spoke to The Kid, I asked if he had gotten any. "Pork chops. All he got were pork chops" she wailed, obviously distraught at such charcuterian indifference, so off she goes tomorrow for some ribs, a loin and a nice Boston butt.

Watching prices

I'm watching for a temporary price dip here in NM as well. I miss the fierce competition in So Cal that holds meat prices down to the minimum. $0.99 butts are my stock up price-point as well but haven't seen them for at least 6 months.
It's bacon pricing I don't understand. I'm paying $2 per pound for ends, not seconds - bacon ends and pieces!

I read that bacon is supposed to double in price in 2013 - if that's the case then we could be looking at $10.00 to $12.00 a pound for Oscar Mayer, Hormel, etc. It averages $5.99 a pound right now for those brands.

One of our stores had Smithfield bacon on sale for $3.27 a pound - I bought 20 pounds (yeah, you might be right that I could be considered a hoarder, but we use a LOT of bacon and I can't afford to pay $10.00 a pound).

We stocked up on bacon, pork chops, baby back ribs, chuck roasts, ground beef and steak. We vacuum sealed everything. If prices don't skyrocket as they predict that's ok, too. I simply won't need to buy any of this stuff for at least 6 months. One store had catfish fillets on sale for $1.99 a pound so we have a freezer drawer full.

Our freezers are full and the great thing is I don't have to buy meat for a long long time.

We had Hormel black label bacon for, $2.39 per pound. My freezer is getting nicely stocked! Just have to keep an eye out for some half or whole pork loins at a good price! Need some beef too.

Wish I had a deep freeze- the small amount I was able to "stock up" is long gone already. I heard milk is going to be outrageous in the US soon due to some farm bill expiring. Anyone hear anything about that?

beef is still very high, hams were cheap during the holidays. ive also noticed there has not been a sale on chicken theighs/breasts for a good month or 2 now, they used to be on sale for .99/lb every other week.

Back
Top Bottom