"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I use stocks, frozen veggies, sometimes a jar of marinara, canned tomatoes, sauce and jarred garlic. My main cheat is Bob Evans mashed potatoes because my child wants mashed potatoes almost everyday. If it isn't after a work day I will make them fresh.

I still have a bit of guilt about the potatoes, I can still remember going to a friends house in 3rd grade and was served instant mashed potatoes, I didn't even know what they were but I dont think the BE ones are as bad.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I do occasionally use frozen ready chopped onions, onions are a bugger to chop for me. And I've tried every trick in the book, they kill me. The only thing that works is wearing my sons swimming goggles. I bought onion goggles but they arent as good as the swimming ones but they will do.

I have also been buying ready chopped garlic, ginger, and chillies. Great to have in and they do save time.

For a freezer standby I like frozen mash and frozen colcannon and bubble and squeak. Easy to have in to serve quickly with a good steak.

Do you cheat?
I buy chopped onions in a two pound bag, divide it into 1/2 cup portions in sandwich bags, place them all in a Zip-Loc freezer bag and stash them in the freezer. The company that makes them, Gill's Onions, is literally down the street from m my house and they use local produce so I know they're fresh. In fact, if the wind is right I can smell the onions being processed from my back yard.

If chopping onions makes your eyes water you can wear swim goggles and even use a snorkle, but leave the swim fins in the closet. You don't want to look silly.

I also buy chopped garlic and ginger in tiny little jars and stash them in the butter keeper of my fridge. I still like to chop my own peppers and chiles, but I will buy bell peppers and jalopy peppers in bilk at the 99 Only store and cut what I am not going to use within a couple of days into slices or dices and freeze them in Zip Loc freezer bags.

I am constanly making double or triple portions and using my Rubbermaid dinner thingies to freeze additional meals for another occasion. Right now I have two roast beef, mashed potatoes and petite white corn meals in the freezer and one mahi-mahi in coconut caramel sauce with brown rice and mixed cauliflower, broccoli and carrots vegetable medley.

Another short cut I use is when making Gramdma LoVullo's Sunday sauce with meatballs and Italian sausage I will make a double portion of the meatball mix of 2 parts ground beef, one part ground pork and one part either ground veal or ground turkey, make about ten meatballs and put the rest in a large Gladware container, which is conveniently shaped like a meat loaf, and freeze it to make a meatloaf at a later date. I make my meatloaf free form on a broiler pan so it doesn't boil in grease.