"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

there's food colouring in achiote paste??? sumpin's not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
But fear not, my freind. There is one cure. You must drink three 14 ounce bowls of dirty-sock-soup between the hours of 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. for 29 days. This is important, so I'll say it again, every day, in the daytime, between the hours of 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. Don't ask me how you're going to drink the stuff in the daytime during those hours. You have to figure that out. That's the rules. I didn't make 'em.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
chief, i refuse to make your version of clam chowder /dirty sock soup again.

i don't care that you guys can smell your own feet, i don't want to see it no matter how long we're stuck in the ice fishing hut.

and i know you are far from the sea, but hocking a loogie into a soup is not considered "adding clams" even if the other yourpers say it is...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
How about buying the paste and then adding to it. I didn't mean to give the impression that my PL copycat used only this paste alone.
You want all that crap in the paste? Make homemade paste.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I first found achiote in my local Latino market, El Mexicano brand Achiote Rojo (red), condimentado Yucateco (Yucatan style condiment) spiced seasoning paste. It has a mild, slightly acid, slightly sweet, slightly spicy taste, only the slightest bit hot. It has a slightly vinegary smell. I'm tasting some as I write this description. It's difficult to describe, and I sometimes wonder if I'm not so good at describing tastes/smells. There is a mild chili taste to it but not chili hot. Slightly salty too.

Ingredients: annato seed, cornmeal, corn flour, vinegar, salt, water, granulated garlic, spices, FD&C food color #40, sodium benzoate as a preservative.

Nutrition facts: serving size 1 oz. (25 g), no fat or cholesterol, 50 calories, 500 mg sodium, 11 g carb (fiber 2 g), sugars 1 g, protein 1 g.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
You want all that crap in the paste? Make homemade paste.
I don't see anything in the ingredient list that isn't found in thousands of products that most of us eat all the time. FD&C? I wonder what it would look like with just the annato. Sodium benzoate? I see it used as a preservative often.

In any case I'm not about to make my own achiote paste until I find a good use for it. I'm experimenting but I haven't found the right recipe yet.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #54
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
I can't remember the restaurant names, but I saw on a tv show once (either food network or cooking channel) where they featured two places. The point of the show was to see who had the best philly cheesesteak, and they used cheez whiz.
You are right, it was throwdown with Bobby Flay and Tony Luke in Philly.

Normally Tony uses cheesewhiz but he also serves broccoli rabe sandwiches with provolone. They all looked good to me!

Tags
cheese