"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
Head Chef

Cheese Whiz

I wonder what the english equivalent of this is, I'm thinking of a cheese in a jar we used to be able to get years ago but not any more.

I learned about cheese whiz from a lovely chap from New Jersey who we met on holiday in Cuba. There was an american style diner in the hotel and he recommended a Philadelphia steak sandwich I think it was. It was delish but I was expecting Phildadelphia cream cheese on it (totes different). So my new friend explained what it was on it.

Is this used on a regular basis, if so on what types of meals?

Just curious.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Head Chef

There's always been a good bit of discussion on the Internet about the lack of a British version. (Strange, as there is a specifically Canadian version.) The consensus is that there is none. Nor does it appear to be commonly available. But I find at least one place, and it's not even terribly expensive. Why it's featured in a Filipino outfit I can't imagine.

KRAFT CHEEZ WHIZ

For me, I'd gladly give you all of my share.

Maybe there's an opportunity here.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I have only eaten it a couple of times in my life. I don't even consider it food. I think it is outrageously priced, also. I have melted it in the microwave and poured it on nachos with chopped jalapenos and a ton of other ingredients. But then you can barely taste it anyway. Anytime I eat something that calls for melted cheddar, I do just that. Melt real cheddar...I'm crazy like that.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I used to use it to entertain my scuba students on openwater dives. Reef fish seem to like it a great deal. As far as eating it, not a chance. Too many bad childhood food experiences.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Master Chef

Cheez Whiz is not "normal" for many dishes. Philly steak sandwiches, nachos, macaroni and cheese are the only things I think I have ever made with it! I haven't bought any in years. I gravitate to the real cheeses but do use Velveeta for certain things. My family prefers provolone on steak sandwiches anyway so Cheez Whiz just doesn't make it into my cart anymore. I would consider it a "specialty" item meaning it has its place but it is very limited.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've never had it and intuition tells me that it would be too salty for me anyway. And, actually, I wouldn't even know where to look for it in my grocery store.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Head Chef

GLC - Kraft, that was it. When I was a child growing up in the groovy 70's I remember Kraft Cheddar Spread which came in a jar and it was orangey coloured and a weird texture, I am sure that was our version of cheese whiz.

Its long gone from our shelves now.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Master Chef

I think I the last time I had Cheez Whiz was many moons ago, when I was a kid. Yeah, it's primarily used on cheesesteak sandwiches and nachos.

I like to use provolone, like someone else said. That is my favorite cheese for a hot sandwich. There are times, if I don't have provolone, I'll use American cheese.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Some cheesesteak places use cheese whiz, but the really good ones use provolone. If you absolutely have to have cheese whiz, try melting some Velveeta if that's available in GB or you can melt some American cheese slices. You know, the ones individually wrapped in plastic, stacked and sealed in cellophane? It's all the same processed cheese food in a different form.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Head Chef

We get individual cheese slices, which my boys like on burgers. I'm not familiar with provolone or velveeta. Hmm cheese slices on nachos might work then?

Tags
cheese