"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Head Chef

Cheese without rennet

What kind of cheese can I make without r e n n e t ? Have come into 6 quarts of half and half.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Cream cheese! Making homemade cream cheese | CopyKat Recipes | Restaurant Recipes

You can also make farmer's cheese with lemon or lime juice or vinegar: Home Made Farmer's Cheese Recipe - Allrecipes.com

And then there's this: Cheesemaking – what to do with all that whey? - FARMcurious

Old 08-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

You can only make a cheese from whey when the cheese was made with rennet. This method won't work with a non-renneted cheese whey. And it needs to be a highly renneted cheese, not a weak rennet solution, for the first cheese.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post

You can only make a cheese from whey when the cheese was made with rennet. This method won't work with a non-renneted cheese whey. And it needs to be a highly renneted cheese, not a weak rennet solution, for the first cheese.
Thanks for the clarification. There are other ideas for your using whey on that page.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Do you know where I might buy the culture? I can't even find r e n n e t around here.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Do you know where I might buy the culture? I can't even find r e n n e t around here.
This blog is no longer active, but it has lots of cheese recipes and links to other blogs, equipment, etc.

forging fromage: Cheesemaking Supplies / Links
Old 08-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Go back to the link GotGarlic provided for Making Homemade Cream Cheese and you will see Mesophilic culture is in blue letters. If you click on Mesophilic culture, you will be directed to the place to order the culture. It is the New England Cheesemaking Supply Co, the largest cheesemaking supplier in the US. They also carry liquid rennet.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
You could make quark, which is a lot like cream cheese. You can use a bit of sour cream or cultured buttermilk as the culture.

Here's my "recipe" for making quark: ISO additions to cream cheese or quark
Old 08-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You could make quark, which is a lot like cream cheese. You can use a bit of sour cream or cultured buttermilk as the culture.

Here's my "recipe" for making quark: ISO additions to cream cheese or quark
That looks a lot like Alton Brown's recipe for cottage cheese that I looked at earlier today. Except his recipe is done on the stovetop. Is the quark creamy or grainy?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
That looks a lot like Alton Brown's recipe for cottage cheese that I looked at earlier today. Except his recipe is done on the stovetop. Is the quark creamy or grainy?
Once it is finished dripping and you have it in a bowl, it is a teensy bit grainy until you "smoosh" it. It smooshes to smooth quite easily. It's quite creamy.

Just had a look at his recipe and the biggest difference that his uses vinegar (as do I when making cottage cheese) and the quark is cultured.

I think I forgot to mention to add a little bit of salt once the quark is ready - really wakes up the flavour. That's true for cottage cheese too.

Tags
cheese