Cheese without rennet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
What kind of cheese can I make without r e n n e t ? Have come into 6 quarts of half and half.

You can only make a cheese from whey when the cheese was made with rennet. This method won't work with a non-renneted cheese whey. And it needs to be a highly renneted cheese, not a weak rennet solution, for the first cheese.

Thanks for the clarification. There are other ideas for your using whey on that page.

Do you know where I might buy the culture? I can't even find r e n n e t around here.

Go back to the link GotGarlic provided for Making Homemade Cream Cheese and you will see Mesophilic culture is in blue letters. If you click on Mesophilic culture, you will be directed to the place to order the culture. It is the New England Cheesemaking Supply Co, the largest cheesemaking supplier in the US. They also carry liquid rennet.

That looks a lot like Alton Brown's recipe for cottage cheese that I looked at earlier today. Except his recipe is done on the stovetop. Is the quark creamy or grainy?
Once it is finished dripping and you have it in a bowl, it is a teensy bit grainy until you "smoosh" it. It smooshes to smooth quite easily. It's quite creamy.

Just had a look at his recipe and the biggest difference that his uses vinegar (as do I when making cottage cheese) and the quark is cultured.

I think I forgot to mention to add a little bit of salt once the quark is ready - really wakes up the flavour. That's true for cottage cheese too.

Last edited:
Once it is finished dripping and you have it in a bowl, it is a teensy bit grainy until you "smoosh" it. It smooshes to smooth quite easily. It's quite creamy.

Just had a look at his recipe and the biggest difference that his uses vinegar (as do I when making cottage cheese) and the quark is cultured.

I have some buttermilk culture in the house. Would that work?

I have some buttermilk culture in the house. Would that work?
Yes, that should work. Just curious, what form is it in? Powder?

Back
Top Bottom