"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I think it was Dawg who turned me on to Ranch dressing mixed with Catalina for Taco salad. Deeeeeelish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I mix salsa and Catalina for taco salad, it was very popular at a Mexican place where I bartended. I do use Catalina or French and ranch on most of my other salads.
Ranch mixed with picante sauce is good for taco salad, and is a good dip for jalapeņo poppers and other deep fried munchies. I like it with fried green beans or mushrooms.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I chop romaine lettuce, top it with Tex-Mex beans, cheese, two poached eggd, guac, sour cream, and salsa. That's my taco salad. Had it for breakfast today

Old 02-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I chop romaine lettuce, top it with Tex-Mex beans, cheese, two poached eggd, guac, sour cream, and salsa. That's my taco salad. Had it for breakfast today
What are Tex-Mex beans?
Old 02-25-2016, 12:23 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What are Tex-Mex beans?
Black beans seasoned with tamari, cocoa powder, red chili flakes, Chipotle powder, chili powder, cayenne. I usually make a big pot. Drain off some water and then season.I use equal psrts tamai, cocoa, and chiili powder. I use equal amts of chipolte and pepper flakes and about 1/2 as much cayenne. Simmer for another 30 minutes. Reheat when I want to eat them. They keep for week in the fridge. Also freeze well.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:17 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Black beans seasoned with tamari, cocoa powder, red chili flakes, Chipotle powder, chili powder, cayenne. I usually make a big pot. Drain off some water and then season.I use equal psrts tamai, cocoa, and chiili powder. I use equal amts of chipolte and pepper flakes and about 1/2 as much cayenne. Simmer for another 30 minutes. Reheat when I want to eat them. They keep for week in the fridge. Also freeze well.
Tamari sounds like an odd ingredient for Tex-Mex beans and coca powder is too close to Mole' for me. Interesting recipe though.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

The tamari adds a certain depth. This is how a local Tex-mex restaurant makes its beans. I have used instant espresso when I ran out of cocoa. I have also added Mexican oregano and ezpazato (sp). I play with it. I'm addicted to these beans. I make hummus out of them with toasted pepitos and lime juice, etc., quesadillas, empanadas, toss them in soups, all kinds of dishes. I generally have some in the fridge or freezer.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't really like black beans but I made Cowboy Beans with pinto beans in my Instant Pot multicooker recently, using similar ingredients. It was pretty good.

I can see using a little tamari as an umami booster. Not enough to really taste it but enough to increase the savoriness of the dish.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #18
Executive Chef

"Ranch mixed with picante sauce is good..." I could see making this combo Rick.

I had a cheeseburger pizza once. A lot of toppings, red onion, bacon , cheese mix, pickles, more, topped with chopped or shredded lettuce once out of the oven. For some reason, it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. I think it was the dill pickle slices, and I love warm dill pickles on a burger. Maybe there was something wrong with me that day.

What's almost threatening on the horizon around here is Sloppy Joe Salad. If I had one more day of leftovers, I 'd be inclined to do it.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't really like black beans but I made Cowboy Beans with pinto beans in my Instant Pot multicooker recently, using similar ingredients. It was pretty good.

I can see using a little tamari as an umami booster. Not enough to really taste it but enough to increase the savoriness of the dish.
That's what the tamari does. I have used soy, but prefer the tamari.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:12 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Good idea, gonna try this way.

Tags
cheese, salad