"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-23-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
Head Chef

Cheeseburger Salad

Okay, don't turn your noses up yet. I'm trying to cut way back or eliminate carbs, especially refined carbs per my doctor's instructions, but one of my favorite foods is a hamburger. After an earlier discussion which involved a lettuce wrapped burger, which was acknowledged as being pretty sloppy to eat, I got to thinking. Why not just turn the whole thing into a salad instead - after all, minus the bun, that's what my kind of deluxe cheeseburger really is. So tonight I did it.

I browned and seasoned some good 93% lean ground chuck, Chopped up some tomato, onion, and lettuce. When the beef was ready, I put about a burger's worth on a plate, added a couple of slices of cheese and zapped it for a few seconds to get a good melt. Then I added the onion, some ketchup, mustard, and mayo, topped it with tomatoes and lettuce.

I thought it was great. I didn't even miss the bun.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #2
Master Chef

Good job Rick! Did you make the beef into a patty or was it loose meat? A taco salad is always a good choice too with highly seasoned cold beef.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
Master Chef

That sounds pretty good!!
Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #4
Master Chef

Sounds great, Rick!

As Kayelle mentioned, taco salad is one of my faves and on my menu often. Leafy greens, tomatoes, onions, and black olives, topped with seasoned crumbled ground beef and shredded cheese of choice is a great meal. I love it with ranch dressing mixed with a little adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers and topped with crushed tortilla chips, but you could leave the chips out.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:35 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I know what's for dinner tomorrow!
Old 02-23-2016, 11:21 PM   #6
Head Chef

I think that the great thing about it is that there are so many possible flavor combinations because there are so many potential condiments and fresh ingredients that can be combined to make your favorite style of burger. I just used American cheese this time, but I see a future with Swiss, or cheddar, or havarti, or whatever. Add a little bacon, maybe mix in some ground pork or spicy Italian sausage. Toss in some cold cucumbers or sweet red peppers.

Or the Mexican flavors of a taco salad, but with heated seasoned meat to better simulate the tacos that I also love - add some jalapeņos for kick. I like the contrast between the hot meat and the cold veggies.

I may just be able to survive some real weight loss finally, without the feelings of deprivation that always seem to defeat my will power.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:38 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I think that the great thing about it is that there are so many possible flavor combinations because there are so many potential condiments and fresh ingredients that can be combined to make your favorite style of burger. I just used American cheese this time, but I see a future with Swiss, or cheddar, or havarti, or whatever. Add a little bacon, maybe mix in some ground pork or spicy Italian sausage. Toss in some cold cucumbers or sweet red peppers.

Or the Mexican flavors of a taco salad, but with heated seasoned meat to better simulate the tacos that I also love - add some jalapeņos for kick. I like the contrast between the hot meat and the cold veggies.

I may just be able to survive some real weight loss finally, without the feelings of deprivation that always seem to defeat my will power.
I love a taco salad with warmed meat in contrast with the chilled lettuce and veggies, Rick. A little cumin mixed with the ground beef is awesome, or better yet, some Penzey's Arizona Dreaming if you can get it. I think taco salad will be in my future very soon, now that you bring it up.

Best wishes to you on your weight loss plan.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:06 AM   #8
Master Chef

I think it was Dawg who turned me on to Ranch dressing mixed with Catalina for Taco salad. Deeeeeelish.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:47 AM   #9
Master Chef

Great idea!

I had not thought of an all American cheeseburger salad.

I'm thinking of a bacon blue cheese burger salad!

I'm also a fan of the Taco salad!

When I make taco meat or chili I freeze a couple of 1/2 cup containers to use for salads. I thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and heat it in the microwave before plopping it on top of a salad. It would be easy enough to do the same thing with the basic burger mixture when I'm browning GB or GT for another dish to hold back a couple of 1/2 cup servings. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Cheeseburger Salad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I think it was Dawg who turned me on to Ranch dressing mixed with Catalina for Taco salad. Deeeeeelish.

I mix salsa and Catalina for taco salad, it was very popular at a Mexican place where I bartended. I do use Catalina or French and ranch on most of my other salads.

Tags
cheese, salad