Cheeseburger Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
Okay, don't turn your noses up yet. I'm trying to cut way back or eliminate carbs, especially refined carbs per my doctor's instructions, but one of my favorite foods is a hamburger. After an earlier discussion which involved a lettuce wrapped burger, which was acknowledged as being pretty sloppy to eat, I got to thinking. Why not just turn the whole thing into a salad instead - after all, minus the bun, that's what my kind of deluxe cheeseburger really is. So tonight I did it.

I browned and seasoned some good 93% lean ground chuck, Chopped up some tomato, onion, and lettuce. When the beef was ready, I put about a burger's worth on a plate, added a couple of slices of cheese and zapped it for a few seconds to get a good melt. Then I added the onion, some ketchup, mustard, and mayo, topped it with tomatoes and lettuce.

I thought it was great. I didn't even miss the bun. :chef:

Sounds great, Rick! :yum:

As Kayelle mentioned, taco salad is one of my faves and on my menu often. Leafy greens, tomatoes, onions, and black olives, topped with seasoned crumbled ground beef and shredded cheese of choice is a great meal. I love it with ranch dressing mixed with a little adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers and topped with crushed tortilla chips, but you could leave the chips out. :yum:

Last edited:
I think that the great thing about it is that there are so many possible flavor combinations because there are so many potential condiments and fresh ingredients that can be combined to make your favorite style of burger. I just used American cheese this time, but I see a future with Swiss, or cheddar, or havarti, or whatever. Add a little bacon, maybe mix in some ground pork or spicy Italian sausage. Toss in some cold cucumbers or sweet red peppers.

Or the Mexican flavors of a taco salad, but with heated seasoned meat to better simulate the tacos that I also love - add some jalapeños for kick. I like the contrast between the hot meat and the cold veggies.

I may just be able to survive some real weight loss finally, without the feelings of deprivation that always seem to defeat my will power.

:yum:
I think that the great thing about it is that there are so many possible flavor combinations because there are so many potential condiments and fresh ingredients that can be combined to make your favorite style of burger. I just used American cheese this time, but I see a future with Swiss, or cheddar, or havarti, or whatever. Add a little bacon, maybe mix in some ground pork or spicy Italian sausage. Toss in some cold cucumbers or sweet red peppers.

Or the Mexican flavors of a taco salad, but with heated seasoned meat to better simulate the tacos that I also love - add some jalapeños for kick. I like the contrast between the hot meat and the cold veggies.

I may just be able to survive some real weight loss finally, without the feelings of deprivation that always seem to defeat my will power.

I love a taco salad with warmed meat in contrast with the chilled lettuce and veggies, Rick. A little cumin mixed with the ground beef is awesome, or better yet, some Penzey's Arizona Dreaming if you can get it. I think taco salad will be in my future very soon, now that you bring it up. :yum:

Best wishes to you on your weight loss plan.

Great idea!

I had not thought of an all American cheeseburger salad.

I'm thinking of a bacon blue cheese burger salad! :yum:

I'm also a fan of the Taco salad!

When I make taco meat or chili I freeze a couple of 1/2 cup containers to use for salads. I thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and heat it in the microwave before plopping it on top of a salad. It would be easy enough to do the same thing with the basic burger mixture when I'm browning GB or GT for another dish to hold back a couple of 1/2 cup servings. Thanks for the inspiration!

Last edited:
I think it was Dawg who turned me on to Ranch dressing mixed with Catalina for Taco salad. Deeeeeelish.

I mix salsa and Catalina for taco salad, it was very popular at a Mexican place where I bartended. I do use Catalina or French and ranch on most of my other salads.

Last edited:
I think it was Dawg who turned me on to Ranch dressing mixed with Catalina for Taco salad. Deeeeeelish.

I mix salsa and Catalina for taco salad, it was very popular at a Mexican place where I bartended. I do use Catalina or French and ranch on most of my other salads.

Ranch mixed with picante sauce is good for taco salad, and is a good dip for jalapeño poppers and other deep fried munchies. I like it with fried green beans or mushrooms.

I chop romaine lettuce, top it with Tex-Mex beans, cheese, two poached eggd, guac, sour cream, and salsa. That's my taco salad. Had it for breakfast today

What are Tex-Mex beans?
Black beans seasoned with tamari, cocoa powder, red chili flakes, Chipotle powder, chili powder, cayenne. I usually make a big pot. Drain off some water and then season.I use equal psrts tamai, cocoa, and chiili powder. I use equal amts of chipolte and pepper flakes and about 1/2 as much cayenne. Simmer for another 30 minutes. Reheat when I want to eat them. They keep for week in the fridge. Also freeze well.

Black beans seasoned with tamari, cocoa powder, red chili flakes, Chipotle powder, chili powder, cayenne. I usually make a big pot. Drain off some water and then season.I use equal psrts tamai, cocoa, and chiili powder. I use equal amts of chipolte and pepper flakes and about 1/2 as much cayenne. Simmer for another 30 minutes. Reheat when I want to eat them. They keep for week in the fridge. Also freeze well.

Tamari sounds like an odd ingredient for Tex-Mex beans and coca powder is too close to Mole' for me. Interesting recipe though.

The tamari adds a certain depth. This is how a local Tex-mex restaurant makes its beans. I have used instant espresso when I ran out of cocoa. I have also added Mexican oregano and ezpazato (sp). I play with it. I'm addicted to these beans. I make hummus out of them with toasted pepitos and lime juice, etc., quesadillas, empanadas, toss them in soups, all kinds of dishes. I generally have some in the fridge or freezer.

I don't really like black beans but I made Cowboy Beans with pinto beans in my Instant Pot multicooker recently, using similar ingredients. It was pretty good.

I can see using a little tamari as an umami booster. Not enough to really taste it but enough to increase the savoriness of the dish.

"Ranch mixed with picante sauce is good..." I could see making this combo Rick.

I had a cheeseburger pizza once. A lot of toppings, red onion, bacon , cheese mix, pickles, more, topped with chopped or shredded lettuce once out of the oven. For some reason, it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. I think it was the dill pickle slices, and I love warm dill pickles on a burger. Maybe there was something wrong with me that day.

What's almost threatening on the horizon around here is Sloppy Joe Salad. If I had one more day of leftovers, I 'd be inclined to do it.

I don't really like black beans but I made Cowboy Beans with pinto beans in my Instant Pot multicooker recently, using similar ingredients. It was pretty good.

I can see using a little tamari as an umami booster. Not enough to really taste it but enough to increase the savoriness of the dish.
That's what the tamari does. I have used soy, but prefer the tamari.

Back
Top Bottom