"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2018, 02:37 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Chefs who inspire you...

Who do you find inspiring? Whether they are cookbook authors, celebrity chefs, or someone you know personally who get's you motivated to cook when you lack inspiration.

I'll start with Antonio Carluccio. He was an Italian chef, who passed a few months ago. I loved watching him on YouTube. He wasn't exciting to watch in the kitchen, but I could see how good he was by how effortlessly he cooked good food. He taught me that simple food was good food. I learned how to make Spaghetti alla Carbonara from one of his videos. The way he did it so well, and so calmly made it easy for me to do what he did.

Here is the last video he made, before passing at 80-years old. If you don't get bored or fall asleep, you will understand why I admire him.

CD

Old 01-31-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Master Chef

If I could only choose one it would be Jacques Pépin.

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I got into cooking later in life. I learned a lot from watching TV chefs. Jacques Pepin is probably #1. His technique is so effortless and fluid and he created delicious looking dishes out of the simplest ingredients.

I also learned stuff form Jeff Smith, Giada di Lorentiis, Biba Gagiano, Caprille Pence, Nick Stellino, Emeril (before BAM!), Tyler Florence, etc.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I grew up watching Graham Kerr, the Galloping Gourmet, on PBS pre Food Network. Liked Julia Child and Jacques too.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Ina Garten. She does a very good job explaining what she is doing. Only thing is that she uses the most expensive ingredients too.
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Head Chef

My initial inspiration was being gifted a wok and all the accessories, including a cook book..
I acquired my love for cooking and learning from early PBS cooking show hosts..

Ross
Old 01-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Im also a big Jacques Pepin fan/ admirer.
Ironically when I first saw him on TV 25 + years ago, I didn't like him.
I thought he had an arrogance to him.
But as I watched his show, I realized he's all about explaining and teaching.
He's not trying to sell you anything ( although now he has a line of cooking apparel at Sur la Table), he's not going for the celebrity, or the reality show. No crappy music playing in the background. Its just good plain old cooking and technique.
75% of what he cooks I can't eat anyway ( being a vegetarian), but I learn so much in every episode or cooking demo I see him at.

A few years back i went to a food and wine show, Bobby Flay was there. Not knocking Bobby Flay, but his demo was so staged, you can tell he was a 'TV celebrity Chef" just by the way things were set up, and the large 'posse' he had surrounding him and doing things for him. Then at I saw Jacques, and he just came on, no hyped up crap, just did his thing, no hoops and fire, just explained it thoroughly. They even forgot to supply him with a few ingredients he needed for the recipe he was doing, so , without missing a beat, he said ' oh well, lets wee what else they have for me in the fridge' and he pulled out a fe other ingredients and modified his dish under the circumstances. No big deal, just went with the flow.

As we all know, cooking is rarely ever perfect. Definitely something you sometimes need to kinda go with the flow, and I was able to relate to him at that event.

What I also like is how, over the years , he has included his daughter and now his granddaughter in on his books, tv shows and cooking demo events. You can see that he is in it for the love of cooking, sharing his experiences with others and his family, and that jus sits right with me.

There are many other chefs I do admire and learn from. And some whose recipes I like more than Jacques. But, If I wanted a one on one cooking session and Q & A session with, Jacques Pepin would be my #1 by far.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
Executive Chef

This last year, I've been learning cheese. Gavin Webber out of Australia is an inspiration on cheese making.

I made feta cheese the other day. He doesn't claim to be a 'chef' but when it comes to cheese, he is one.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Casey, I had not heard of Antonio Carluccio, but after watching some of his video's I can see why he impresses you. He shares the same kind of easy classic style as my favorite chef, Jacques Pepin. I'm always impressed by great chef's who aren't impressed with themselves.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm always impressed by great chef's who aren't impressed with themselves. [/I]
Couldn't have said it better

Although there are a few that I almost get some kinda bizarre kick out of their arrogance. Im not sure if it's just an act or they are truly that full of themselves.

Nick Stellino comes to mind in this sense. I enjoy watching his shows, but i've never seen someone kiss their own butt as much as he does. But for some reason, it doesn't rub me the wrong way. I just laugh at his stupid self fulfilling comments.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chef