Chicago style pizza recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wart - what's your problem? Several folks here have stated that their Aldi stores are very nice, which I'm not disputing. Ours, which is brand new, is horrible - regardless of the thickness of one's wallet. If it was a nice store, I'd have no problem shopping there.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "style" or my husband & I thinking we're better than anybody else or that we don't realize there are folks in dire circumstances in our community. In fact, that's why we contribute our time, money, & food to our local food pantry - YEAR-ROUND - not just at the holidays like most.

The Aldi store here isn't providing decent inexpensive groceries to low-income folks - they're offering garbage. Cheap knock-off junk food & crates of weird stuff that, as I said before, looks like government/dollar-store surplus stuff. And produce that could be bought just as cheaply, but 100% fresh & minus the fruit flies across the street at Wal-Mart (where we do 90% of our food shopping).

Again I say, Lord only knows why they opened this place up, because it's an insult to everyone - particularly those on a fixed income - & I'm hoping that they don't make out & close. Anyone in our area would do 100% better both price-wise & quality-wise across the street at Wal-Mart (regardless of how they feel about Wal-Mart politics).

We do shop Aldi out of necessity...

They opened a Food4Less here last year and we started shopping there for awhile. They take expired coupons as well as allowing you to use double coupons, and even on sale items.

However, after watching my wife spend countless hours each week clipping coupons, and then having to adjust my menu to use as many of them as possible, I realized we were still spending more than at Aldi.:dry:

We switched back. Our bill, at best before using Aldi, was around $900 a month for the 5 of us. Now it hovers around $600.

The savings translated into a new $1,515 fridge (including 5 year complete warranty and service plus delivery plus haul away on the old one, tax included).

Well almost, we knew this one was on its last leg so we switched to Aldi four months ago and put the savings in the bank. If it had held out a couple of more months we would have had an even better fridge.;)

Still, at least now I have the ice and water dispenser as well as a built in air filter and water filter.

Just out of curiosity, are the nicer Aldi's you folks have the size of regular supermarkets? Because the one they opened here is about the size of a 7-11.

Bigger than a 7-11 but smaller than the Jewel or Food4Less. DW prefers that, she hates running around the larger box stores, says it tires her out LOL.
Not sure how big your 7-11's are, but I would say put about 3 or 4 of our 7-11's together and that is about how big the ALDI is.

Thanks Maverick. So the one they opened here is probably pretty small compared to others. I still can't figure out why, in a brand-new shopping center, they made it so sleazy. Next time I'm over there I'll have to go in again. If it's still the same as when we were there when they first opened (back in Oct./Nov.), maybe I'll e-mail Aldi & find out what the story is. Like I said before, it really isn't (or wasn't) doing any justice to fixed-income folks. And being involved with the local food pantry, etc., I really don't like what they're pushing as "food".

Stay tuned - maybe I'll have to open up a "Breezycooking vs. Aldi" thread - lol!!!

I think I said this in a previous post, but my friend in Iowa agrees with you and does most of her shopping at the Wal-Mart Supercenter. Not that her ALDI is that nasty, but it doesn't have as much selection and isn't any better value for her.
My wife also reminded me of the trip we took to Nashville many years back where we stopped at an ALDI to restock the cooler. It was as nasty if not nastier than what you described.
Considering the high competition here in Chicago along with the fact that they do originate in Batavia and I suppose you could say they need to put their best foot forward. They seem to always be trying to add new things and improve the store here, and even offer a large variety of name brand stuff that they must be picking up as overstock somewhere.

I will keep a look out for the Breezycooking Vs. Aldi thread! LOL. I think I would like to hear an explanation as well. Correct me if I am wrong, but most other chain stores I go to when on trips are just as good if not better than their counterparts here.

This is what I'm making for dinner tonight - I have some pix of the pizza I made last time above (in this post, look up). Its pretty easy, I make the dough early in the day and I let it doa slow rise in the fridge.

I haven't shopped Aldi's in years. I didn't like the store much, it wasn't sleazy but I was not comfortable in it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom